If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, August 8, 2014

Siew Bao / Flaky BBQ roasted chicken buns 鸡肉烧包



This is another work under 吃饱饭没事做 ? (Having nothing better to do after being fed) ^_^. Actually I was busy yesterday but some how I decided to make this Siew Bao which I have been wanting to get my hands on how to homemade this yummy Siew Bao.



 
Actually the pastry handling for this Siew Bao is similar like earlier Tau Sha Piah (Flaky mung beans biscuits . I use the same step by step photo.
Picnik collage


Chicken filling

Before baking..

 
You need to bake it twice, when 2nd egg wash , you have to egg wash one then sprinkle sesame seeds but don't egg wash all at one go, as the hot buns will quickly cook the egg, when you sprinkle sesame seeds, it will not stick to the surface.



 This Siew Bao is flaky and good ( while warm and flakiness last for few hours)

When I followed to the recipe, dough yield 20pcs, but filling only can made 14 buns which I based on 25g filling. I feel the filling can be increase as the crust still a bit thick. If you want to try this recipe, you have to increase the filling by half more. And next time I also want to increase sugar amount as I prefer it taste slightly sweet like those selling outside ^_^.



Siew Bao / Crispy BBQ roasted chicken buns 鸡肉烧包
*makes 14 buns, leftover 6 empty dough 

Filling
300g chicken meat (I use chicken thigh), cubed
80g onion, chopped
40g frozen green peas, thawed 

Seasonings
1tsp salt
2tbsp sugar or to taste as per your preference

1tbsp oyster sauce
1/2tbsp sesame oil
1tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp dark soy sauce
1tsp dark caramel soy sauce, optional
A pinch of Chinese five-spices powder 

1/2tbsp corn flour + 1tbsp water, to thicken 

Method

  1. Mix all seasonings in a mixing bowl, set aside.
  2. Heat 3tbsp cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan, add in onion, sauté till aroma.
  3. Add in chicken meat, stir till color changed, add in green peas, mix well.
  4. Add in seasonings, continue stir fry for few minutes till thicken (add water if you feel the mixture is dry).
  5. Add in corn flour water, to thicken the mixture, set aside to cool

Dough A (Water dough)

200g plain flour
60g butter (salted), room temp
2tbsp caster sugar
100g water 

Dough B (oil dough)

160g plain flour
100g shortening 

Egg wash (egg yolk +water), white sesame seeds 

Method

  1. Dough A, rub butter with flour and sugar, slowly add in water, combine till form dough, set aside 10mins.
  2. Dough B, rub shortening with flour, combine till form dough, set aside for 10mins.
  3. Equally divide dough A and B into 20 portions and roll into ball (dough A ~19g, dough B ~12g ).
  4. Wrap dough B with dough A (that means oil dough is inside). Roll it out into long rectangle shape. Then roll up the dough like swiss roll. Repeat this step one more time. Then take the swiss roll and pinch two ends together and roll into ball shape. Set aside to rest and repeat the rest of dough till finished.
  5. Roll it out into a circle and place the filling (25g) at the center. Bring all edges together and pinch to seal.
  6. Egg wash and bake in preheated oven at 200C for 15 minutes, bring out the baking tray, egg wash again and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top (do it one by one), and return to oven at 200C for another 15mins or till golden brown.
Recipe source: inspired by Karen’skitchen, recipe by Kathrine Kwa, with minor changes




35 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Dunno MaMa Kucing will make anot, she make, gonna "ask her poslaju", lol

Small Kucing said...

muhahaha...you know me so well ah Sharon

Hmmm this recipe seems quite easy to make....gotta go get the meat first

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Sonia, love this baked siew baos ... I've been wanting to make puff pastry dough myself since my last attempt of char siew soh 2 months ago with my bake along kakis. Thanks for sharing!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Mama Kucing, dijamin sampai hari esok, lol

nandoos kitchen said...

wow! this is looking so yumm.. surely a must try recipe..

Mel said...

Hahaha.....I just bought few pieces of siew bao for my lunch and here you are posting yours today. But nothing beats home made ones! You made yours looking so perfect as always!

cikmanggis said...

Mesti cuba ...nampak sungguh cabtik n sedap.Kalah kedai :)

cikmanggis said...

Sungguh cantik

PH said...

You are so clever lah! Your siew bao looks like the one from the bakery but I know it tastes a lot better!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I wanted to bake this but the thought that it's high fat content, I dropped the idea. Seeing yours is inspirational for me to make some. I like the fillings, looks so good and thanks for the pictures on how to roll the bao skin.

Victoria Bakes said...

ultimate favourite...

Veronica said...

Irresistible siew bao! Especially served with that cup of kopi O

猫儿的天空 said...

OH~i love this scrumptious snack! Pls let me grab one for my tea break okay!

Fion said...

This shao bao is in my waiting list...still lazy because once think about making the filling..haha

Li Shuan said...

那天看到Karen做就很想做了,但是最近工作忙到想吐,放工后都不想做东西了只想坐着看戏跷脚。
看到你的馅料很sedap,我心又痒了

Copycake kitchen said...

Wow! How good if i can have this siew bao and a cup of white coffee for breakfast(drooling.....)

lena said...

吃饱饭没事做? haha..not that bad la...
at least i think better than the last time you made ham chin paeng..hehe...

My Little Space said...

Hmmmm... these are such delicious looking siew bao ! Simply irresistible. These day I'm too busy to do anything. >o<
Enjoy & have a fabulous weekend.
Blessings, Kristy

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, Can I fried it, instead of baking? In my country, Vietnam, we have fried bao, but I cant find the recipe. Thank you

Ana Regalado said...

Oh Sonia ! Looking at your photos makes me hungry *sigh* Those are gorgeous baked buns !

Little blue said...

My kids like siew pau so much, bakery always cost RM2.50 each and the size very tiny, my son said : 不够塞牙缝!!I mark down this already~

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Pham Tra, I have never tried frying it. This is pastry type of bao but not yeast raising dough type of bao, so I am not sure whether after deep fry and it will taste good or not. Maybe you try out and let me know.

Angie's Recipes said...

They look really flaky and delicious. I want to eat the filling with a spoon :-)

Anonymous said...

Is it OK to use puff pastry in a pinch? They look amazing.

Becca said...

Hi Sonia, if you can help, I followed your steps, added less than 100g of water as dough A seems too watery. Even though I twisted and seal the opening of the end product, it opens up during the baking process. Otherwise the dough and filling taste great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, Mine also opens up during baking. "Wrap dough A with dough B" means dough B is on the outside right?
Veronica

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Veronica, sorry, there is a typo, should be wrap dough B (oil) with dough A (water),that means oil dough is inside. When you bring all edges together and make sure you pinch hard to seal it, otherwise it will open after baked.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Becca, sorry, the earlier recipe has a typo, should be wrap dough B (oil) with dough A (water),that means oil dough is inside. When you bring all edges together and make sure you pinch hard to seal it, otherwise it will open after baked.

Melinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melinda said...

Hi Sonia,

Just tried it out but the bottom is bit burnt. Shd I bake at middle or lowest rack with or without fan forced?

eugwend said...

Hi Sonia! I'm craving this even more now that I'm residing in States. I don't have shortening. Is it a crucial ingredient?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

eugwend, yes, shortening is crucial in this recipe, try to get it.

Anonymous said...

You can easily find shortening at US supermarket, at cake mix section. I just bought one.

tesya1mercado@gmail.com said...

Hi can I use pork lard instead of shortening?

Anonymous said...

The siew baos that I've made today using your recipe was a success! I used butter instead of shortrning. Had to reduce the oven temperature to 180 (fan forced) for the last 15minutes as the baos were looking darker by the minute😦

Blog Widget by LinkWithin