This month is good time to enjoy fresh and cheap pumpkin. At first I was thinking to make these bao into pan fry type. Anyway, last minutes changed to steamed type, as I am lazy to clean the mess after pan fried.
If next time I will make this bao again, I will increase the dough weight (50g) as we found the skin is a bit thin (suitable for pan dry actually). We also tasted a hint of sourness, I am not sure where is the source of sourness came from. If you plan to try this recipe, let me know if you have the same problem.
Updated on 4th Oct- as per feedback, the sourness might caused by over proof the dough, thus I have changed the proofing time to 30mins.
Steamed Pumpkin Meat Bao 南瓜鲜肉包子*makes 9 buns
For the Bao150g cake flour100g mashed pumpkin3/4tsp instant yeast1/4tsp salt30g caster sugar30g corn oil1/2tbsp water or adjust accordingly
depend on the water content of mashed pumpkin
For the meat filling200g minced pork½ onion, chopped1 spring onion, chopped1tsp sugar3/4tsp salt1tsp light soy sauce1/2tsp sesame oil1/2tp rice wine1tsp corn flour or tapioca flour2tsp water
- Mix all bao ingredients in a mixing bowl, combine well and knead till smooth dough.Cover with damp cloth and rest for 30mins.
- Mix all meat filling ingredients till sticky paste, keep in the fridge before use.
- Knock down dough to expel some air, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a while.
- Equal divide the dough into 9 portions (~35g), roughly shape into a ball and rest for 10mins.
- Equal divide the meat filling into 9 portions (~30g).
- Fatten and roll out the dough into a circle. Place meat filling onto the center, wrap and pleat up the sides and seal.
- Place the pumpkin buns (pleat area face down) onto a piece of greaseproof paper, on the rack for steaming. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let rise for another 10-15 mins.
- Steam the buns under rapidly boiling water on high heat for about 20-25mins.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).