If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Seri Muka

I like to eat anything cook with glutinous rice, Seri Muka is one of my favorite. My sister in law Annie so kind sharing the Seri Muka recipe. This was made much earlier, but wait until now only got the chance to publish it.



- Mix half of the rice with Butterfly Pea Flower (Bunga Telang)**optional..


-Cook HK flour until thick and smooth




Bottom layer (glutinous rice):
-300g glutinous rice, wash, soaked for about 4 hours & drained (soak half of it with Butterfly Pea Flower (Bunga Telang), this is optional **)
-1/2 coconut, squeezed 180ml coconut milk
-1 tsp salt
-2 pieces pandan leaves, knotted.
-1 piece banana leaf, for pressing


1. Put all the ingredients into a steaming tray. Steam with high heat until cooked (about 45minutes) .Discard pandan leaves, fluff up rice and press with banana leaf until very firm.



Top layer-1 packet Hoen Kwe Flour (80g) ** I bought green colour HK flour.
-1/2 coconut squeezed into 3 cups (750ml) coconut milk add a pinch of salt (**I prefer less coconut, so I reduce to half coconut from the original recipe of 1 coconut. And I feel the layer is a bit soft, you may want to reduce the coconut water)
-100gm caster sugar
-1 tbsp custard powder
-1 tbsp pandan juice from 3 pandan leaves


1. Put the HK flour, custard powder and sugar into a mixing bowl.
2. Add in the coconut milk and stir till sugar dissolved, add in the pandan juice.
3. Strain the mixture into saucepan, keep stiring with low fire until thick and smooth.
4. Pour the mixture to the bottom layer, steam for about 15 - 20 minutes until cooked.
5. Remove, cool before cutting.
Do enjoy making kuih-muih !!!

18 comments:

Colin Woon said...

Silly me have no idea this is called seri muka...ahhh...now I know...hehehe...

I was wondering what HK flour was then I see "Hoen Kwe" flour, what's the different compare to regular flour? I wonder if we can find that here.

Nancymommy said...

自从电视上演了新加坡电视剧"小娘惹"后....大女儿就超爱吃"娘惹糕点和甜品"...去 1U 在old wing也找到一家专卖娘惹糕点的吃下午茶..她要是看到了你的post一定要我学做了...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Colin, I got HK flour in Jusco, if your area dont have Jusco, maybe you should try ASEAN store. If your wife really want to make this and you couldn't find this flour, I can post it for you. They wrote tepung kacang kuning, I also not sure what flour is this.
Other topic, if you free, try to watch this short film, all talk about Malaysia, http://15malaysia.com/, this is very hot topic in MY here now.

Nancy, I follow this series too, and I love to eat Nyonya foods as well, but that one sell outside is so much expensive for a tiny piece. I suggest you to make this, u daughter will love this.

ai wei said...

u know how to make kuih besides cake!!! wondering if my mom like serimuka?! hmmm

ching said...

我也很喜欢糯米制成的糕点。
之前做的是卡士特口味。
下次也要试试pandan味的。

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

beautifully make!! can't wait for your recipe!! btw,your daughter BDay cake is pretty!!

ann low said...

WOW! This kueh is pretty nice, hope I can try some :D

twister said...

sonia, this may be a great idea if u can make all sorts of malay and nyonya kuih-muih with recipes in your blog.....don't you think so?

choi yen said...

I like everything with glutinous rice too!!

HS Kitchen And Hobby said...

The kuih look so nice. must be yummy yummy.

Rachel Hei said...

I love those kuih-muih with glutinous rice too.. And now i know this is call seri muka.. haha.. the seri muka you made looks great.. got to copy down the recipe and see if i could find the flour in the asean market here.. thanks for the sharing dear.^_^

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ai Wei, ask her, if yes, then you prepare for her lor.

Ching, try it out, and you will love it.

Beachlover's kitchen, thought I have included the recipe in this post ??

Twister, then I will become Little Nyonya, hahaha, I will try to make as many as possible.

Anncoo, ya, this is good.

mimid3vils, great to know you also rice glutinous rice.

HS Kitchen and hobby,ya, this is yummy.

Rachel, if you can't find it, let me know, I will try to send you. great to know you also like glutinous rice foods.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lovely! I love kuih-muih but too lazy to make it.

petite nyonya said...

Nice nyonya kuih there. So happy that nyonya kuih is gaining a lot of popularity :D.

米亚 said...

After reading this post plus last post on Fullhuse.... I feel like coming back to malaysia right now... ohhhh!!!

Bakeling said...

I will send this post to my sister who lives in the USA. Let her make this kuih .

This is her favourite. Thanks for the recipe.

smarthousewife said...

這是馬來西亞道地美食吧?看起來很別緻。

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

LCOM, actually for me, I dont really like kuih-muih, because usually all are very sweet, so I only make those that I like, hehehe..

Mia, I understand your feeling, miss home right? Better not do this, otherwise Alex will be very sad, hahaha..

Bakeling, you are most welcome.

smarthousewife, yes, this only can be found in Malaysia, combine Chinese and Malay..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin