This was my 1st time to braise a duck, and I did not cook the Hokkian way which my mum use to cook, instead I tried Teochew-style, I prefer the Teochew style than the Hokkian style. So I just cooked this duck and prepared some mixed local salads, this was a simple dinner in a lazy Sunday.
- I think I have bought a wrong type of duck (they called as white duck), it can not stand for long hour cooking, broken down when I cut it....
Simple recipe to share:-
1 duck, about 2kg
-1 stick cinnamon
-5 stick of "gan cao"
-3 pcs of dried tangerine peel
-5 pcs of star anise
-4 pcs of cloves
5-6 slices of galangal (nan jiang or lengkuas) ** This must have, remember...
Five spice powder
Enough water to cover whole duck
Light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce (for colour)
1. Boil water in a wok and add few slices of galangal, lower the duck into the hot water to wash it briefly, remove duck to a colander to drain. Rub five spice powder on whole body of duck and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok, add white sugar and rock sugar to melt them until it caramelises. Add in galangal slices, bring enough water in the wok.
3. Place all the spices in a cotton pouch, and put this cotton pouch in the wok, once the water boiled, add in the duck. Add in seasoning and simmer for about 2 hours, turning the duck every 30mins.
4. Turn off the fire and leave the duck to immerse in the sauce for another hour.
5. To serve, cut the duck into pieces and garnish with Chinese parsley and local salad (marinate carrot, white carrot and cucumer with salt, sugar and vinegar). Serve with white rice and garlic chili sauce (bottled garlic chili sauce, chopped garlic, fish sauce, vinegar and sugar)
Do enjoy Cooking !!!