If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, March 8, 2010

Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken rice noodles soup)

Happy International Women' Day to all of you !! I would like to present this light and healthy noodles to all of you.


I like Vietnamese pho, i took pho for almost every lunch when I was in Ho Chi Minh last year. I try to cook this at home recently, also partly due to super hot weather here , I lost appetite to rice which serve in every dinner. As lime juice and fresh herbs are added to pho, so it is very appetite and refreshing.

IMG_6280


At first, I was not too sure what spices added to the broth, luckily I found the Vietnamese beef pho recipe in Pig Pig's corner. I always have problem to buy beef in market here, so I changed beef to chicken, and omitted some of the spices..Thanks to Pig Pig's corner for kind sharing.


-From left, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon stalk, star anise

IMG_6260

Pho Ga / Vietnamese Chicken rice noodles soup
(printable recipe)

The broth
4 Chicken carcasses
1 big onion (cut wedges)
½ tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp salt or to taste
4 whole cloves
1 whole star anise
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stalk
2.5 litres water

Ingredients
500g Vietnamese rice noodles (rinse in hot water)
500g whole Chicken breast (cook in the broth for 30mins, removed and shred the meat)
200g Bean sprouts (washed and tails pinched off)
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh coriander leaves
Fresh red chilli
Limes


1) To make the Chicken pho broth: Pan fried onion wedges till slightly brown. Place all spices (cloves, star anise, coriander seeds and cinnamon stick) in a cotton pouch. In a large pot, add in chicken carcasses,water, onion and spices pouch, bring to boil and simmer over low flame for 1hour. Season with sugar, fish sauce and salt, try to make it more salty as soup will dilute once added noodles. Strain the broth and discard the solids.

2) To make the bowl: Bring broth to boil, fill bowl with rice noodles and bean sprouts, and ladle the hot broth into bowl. Garnish with the rest of fresh veggie and shredded chicken. Serve hot.



IMG_6265
Happy Cooking !!

41 comments:

Blessed Homemaker said...

I love pho!! Looks simple yet so delicious!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Today not so late, can reserve a bowl for lunch later... keke...

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Well done! It looks really delicious and light.

Tina said...

Looks delicious.....

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good! I like pho, light and healthy.

Colin Woon said...

I like pho too! One of my favorite dishes in Vietnamese restaurant.

Great photos, Sonia!

gaga said...

Mmm, I love pho. Chicken is a great lighter alternative to the usual. Yummy!

Sunitha said...

Happy womens day and what a dish to celebrate womanhood.. lovely!

Anonymous said...

Delicious pho! I love using chicken too. So refreshing!

Zurin said...

youre a great cook Sonia! it looks so good and appetizing.mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ReeseKitchen said...

Ooo...looks simple...:) Never try this before leh, maybe can give it a try..;p

Kitchen Corner said...

Haha.. this remind me my first try of Vietnamese Fish pho (rice noodles) in Berlin. At first, they place the rice noodle (without soup yet) on the table, then I thought it must just eat as it is. Right after a few minutes, they bring out the soup about to pour into the rice noodles and it was too late hahaha...I've almost finished up a half bowl of the noodle :P

WendyinKK said...

Ur beansprouts caught my eye. Very fresh :)

Is there a typo?? The chicken broth don't seem to contain any chicken in the instructions. The chicken carcass ran away!!!! U better catch it before it gets run over by a truck!!!

terri@adailyobsession said...

hmm, looks very tasty. i've not made pho b4, i am encouraged by your post.

Unknown said...

my fav vietnamese dish.......pho bo dac biet...special beef noodle soup with the tendons, the intestines ...and all the other goodies. i made beef pho last week but cbs taking photos of it

your chicken pho looks very very tasty and very light too!

ann low said...

WOW!! Very delicious and healthy! This is my fav...always add lots of basil leaves and chilli.
Very nice clicks!

3 hungry tummies said...

I love pho! It is getting colder here so that looks like just the right dish to have!

mia said...

i like pho too! but alex doesnt seem to like it very much... sigh...

Anh said...

I haven't had Pho ga in such a long time! This is my childhood fav food!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Blessed homemaker, yes, you are right, simple and delicious!

somewhere in SG, anytime.

Ju, you have nicely described this noodle soup, light and light..

Tina and LCOM, Thanks for stopping by.

Colin,ask Faye cook for you lor..

gaga, ya, chicken is lighter version.

Nostalgia, Thanks for stopping by.

Ellie, Thanks dear.

Zurin and Reese, try this out.

Grace, Hahaha, how the dry one tasted?

Wendy, Hahaha, chicken broth w/o chicken.. Thanks for point out this dear.

Terri, this is very simple to prepare and yet delicious!

Ann, ya, chicken version is light and delicious.

Anncoo, me too.

3 hungry tummies, yes, this noodle soup best to eat either in hot or cold weather..

Mia, too bad.

Anh, quickly try it out.

My Little Things Corner said...

ilove pho too, super yummy!

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Hi Sonia! Been to ur lovely blog b4, can't remember if I've commented any.

Ur recipes are simply superb! Love ur header with awesome Nasi Lemak clicks!

Are U from Klang? I'm in the same city too. ;)

Cheers!

Swee San said...

looks delicious! I haven't had pho for a very long time!

@Love2Cook I'm from Klang too!

Pei-Lin said...

It does look very refreshing!! Perfect on our recent hot & humid days!! Must get my hands down on these some day. Thanks, Sonia!

Namitha said...

Happy women's day to you too ! Perfect dish for the celebration !!

Food For Tots said...

Looks so refreshing and appetizing! Love all the spices and herbs used. Must taste heaven!

Pete said...

Had a few nice Pho in Vietnam too, missed them! Good now have a recipe to try out! Thks

温馨小屋 said...

大热天吃这最适合不过了!

MaryMoh said...

That looks simple and delicious. A great comfort food. Hot and most welcoming in this cold weather here.

Jhonny walker said...

So that's what real pho's should be like...gorgeous.and thanks a ton for sharing. Already bookmarked :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely recipe and gorgeous photos. We had pho not only in Vietnam, but throughout Southeast Asia and loved it. Your recipe is far more authentic than the one I'm currently using. Your have a wonderful blog and I'll be back often to see what you are making.

tigerfish said...

If it had been more yellowish, I would have thought it was Mee Soto....kekekke
Enjoy pho but never tried cooking it before. The broth is always a challenge.

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

I never cook pho b4 but only eat at the restaurant....yours really look great especially wt the garnishing like the one sell here at the Viet restaurant.

苏联妈妈 said...

看来很开胃及清新的一餐。

Penny said...

I love this too as I love basil very much! Thanks for sharing and I will let you know how's my cooking!

choi yen said...

The soup seem like very clear doesn't look like cook with spice ler...

Anonymous said...

I recently had to sample some chicken pho from Koka, DEFINITELY A FAIL! I love pho as much as everyone here so I'm so keen to try this recipe out! If you say it's good, it's gotta be awesome. :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sze Sze, try follow this recipe and cook it out.

Love2cook,Yes, I'm, nice to know a blogger from Klang too.

Swee San, thanks.

Pei Lin,you are welcome.

Gulmohar, you too.

Food for tots, Thanks for stopping by.

Pete, hope you will like this.

Felvinc, yes, you are right.

Mary, yes, suitable for cold weather too.

tigerfish, this chicken version of pho, is very simple to cook the broth.

Beachlover's kitchen, try to learn from them lor.

Sulianmama, yes, very light and simple.

Penny, quickly blog it ya.

mimid3vils, because spices was put into a cotton pouch lor.

vivkys, Thanks for dropping by.

Cheah said...

Oh, I love this, had this for breakfast almost throughout the five days when I was in Hanoi.

Cynthia said...

I really love the lighting on your photographs - so clean and crisp.

Penny said...

SOnia, do u have MSN ..i have blogging issue to ask fm u..if yes..pls add me 'cinnamon1973@hotmail.com' tks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin