If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Anchovies savoury fritters / Cekodok (Cucur) ikan bilis

One of the reader commented in my recent post that she find it really interesting that Malaysians add anchovies to nearly everything. Yes, she is right, Malaysian like to eat anchovies, example for me, I add anchovies to this savoury fritters, noodles soup, fried rice , sambal and etc.
Cekodok (Cucur) or savoury fritter is one of the Malaysian favourite snack serve for tea time. Almost everyone knows how to make this yummy tea time snacks, because it is easy!

Cekodok (Cucur) Ikan Bilis / anchovies savoury fritters


Cekodok (Cucur) Ikan Bilis / anchovies savoury fritters



I just bought this old fashion of enamel plates from the pasar (wet market), and immediately i use to serve this savoury fritters. You may replace with prawn if you could'nt find anchovies.

Cekodok (Cucur) Ikan Bilis / anchovies savoury fritters


Cekodok (Cucur) Ikan Bilis / anchovies savoury fritters

Ingredients
450g plain flour
40g self raising flour
10g corn flour
550ml water

300g bean sprouts
100g chives, chopped
1 big onion, chopped
100g ikan bilis / anchovies, washed and chopped

Seasonings
1 ½ tsp salt or to taste
½ tbsp sugar or to taste
Pepper powder
1/2tsp anchovy stock powder

method
1. Mix all the ingredients and seasonings until a thick batter
2. Heat oil in a wok, spoon into hot oil and fry till brown.
3. Drain on paper kitchen towel and serve with sweet chilli dipping sauce. Best eaten while it’s still hot !!

I will share with you this homemade sweet chili dipping sauce in my next post, stay tuned!

Cekodok (Cucur) Ikan Bilis / anchovies savoury fritters


Happy Cooking !!

31 comments:

Diane said...

This looks really delicious so will try it in the next couple of days. I made masses of sweet chillie sauce with my overflow of chillies from the garden so the sauce is ready and waiting! Diane

celine said...

i used to have this as a kid when my "Ah Mah" was alive. yeah, she does it with anchovies too. looking at your photos brought back lots of wonderful memories that i have with her :)

thanks for sharing, Sonia!

苏联妈妈 said...

my mum used to cooked this eat together with her self made chili sauce for tea time~~i love it !

Jane Chew said...

hmmm... ho chiak! i like ur antique plate :)

WendyinKK said...

I love cucur ikan bilis, perfect tea time treat.

When I was a kid, I hated those enamel plates, becos it seemed so old and have always prefered ceramic plates over them.
But as I got older, I seem to like them, as they reminded very much about my meals as a kid. I don't think those plates I used to use as a kid still exist at my mom's. She could've thrown out all of them. Keeping some will be nice.

Belly Good Cooking said...

Ooo.... I love cucur ikan bilis too. Waiting for your sweet chili sauce recipe...

Little Inbox said...

My mum just make cucur udang, but has not try to make cucur ikan bilis. I think I'll like both. :)

cikmanggis said...

Saya pasti akan buat cekodok petang ni :) nak cuba cara Sonia:)terima kasih Sonia...pinggan ayan tu membuatkan teringat MIL.....

Bo said...

I too have noticed lots of dishes with anchovies...We never use anchovies in American cooking, I always look at them in the Asian market...but I have never tried them...I will get brave one day...Your fritters look excellent.

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy those plates?

My Little Space said...

Sonia, these are my hubby's favourite! He loves anything with kampung flavour. He'll be thrilled if I made him these. haha.... Hope you're enjoying your day.
Kristy

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Tea break time, u making me drooling, keke...

AloyCia said...

Ideal snack at tea time... thanks for sharing... look so yummy!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Wow this is my favourite. At home,we will have this for breakfast, tea snack and supper. It's so handy and eady to make.

Urs look very pretty and delicious. Perhaps I shall share my mom's version one of these days. We normally add egg, chili paste and chopped chili padi to the batter as well.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个给我沾多多辣椒酱我一下就吃完:)

pigpigscorner said...

I like to add he bi (dried shrimps) in this, ahve to try with anchovies next time!

ICook4Fun said...

Great mind think alike. I too just made cucur udang yesterday. I love ikan bilis but can't put it in all my dishes as Carlos hates it. I like the enemal plate too. I remember my grandmother used to serve dishes in plates like that.

Bakericious said...

I have not been eating this for long long time, you are making me craving for some leh...

Angie's Recipes said...

These look mouthwatering! I love these with some garlic chillie sauce!!

Kana said...

What are you doing to me :) I LURVE cucur ikan bilis or udang. Look so good!!!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

My Mum and MIL still has those plates...very authentic, love them. ;) Sonia, you used dried anchovies for this recipe right? I am very interested to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Victoria said...

Yum, these fritters look delicious! Anchovies sound like a fun ingredient, I don't use them often enough.

Shandy said...

Always looks delicious Sonia! You are such a great cook and your family is so lucky to have you for their Mom. =)

Namitha said...

wonderful fritters...would make a great starter in parties

Zoe said...

Oooo...loves the chili sauce! Ikan bilis fritters and chili sauce! What a perfect match!

Elin Chia said...

Love this...savoury fritters. My malay colleagues will bring this from home for us at times for our breakfast...yummyummy thanks for sharing the recipe here :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

Love2cook Malaysia said...

I'm speechless Sonia! Cucur ikan bilis is my all-time favourite!!! Simply loved it..

U made them look really yummy lor! I wantttt ;)

My Little Things Corner said...

I dip with Kg Koh chili, super yummy...

Lena @ MLP said...

looks very yummy :D i LOVE bilis :D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for stopping by. Do try out this simple and yummy fritters.

mamamya said...

i have a weird syndrome with these fritters - i love to dunk them with assam pedas gravy..super duper delicous and just cant stop eating them!everytime mum cook assam pedas for lunch i'll immediately prepare my cekodok batter for tea..hehe..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin