This was my 1st time did a pie with bake blind, i use red bean as this is the only bean i have.
I have no problem to prepare the pie crust but i'm not sure how to prepare the filling, after checked through in few blogs, I saw Elin did this before, thus I requested the recipe from her. Thanks Elin for kind sharing. The normal banana cream pie is serve with whipping cream, but I replaced the cream with ice cream since the weather here is hot.
Banana cream pie
*makes a 9” pie
Sweet pie crust
250g plain flour
Pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter
100ml cold water
1. Using a food processor, process the flour, sugar, salt and butter for about few seconds until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then put the mixture in a bowl.
2. Slowly add water into the flour mixture, bring the wet and dry ingredients together to form a dough.
3. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30mins.
4. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 5mm (1/4 inch).
5. Carefully lift it up with the rolling pin, and ease it into the pie pan.
6. Bake blind the pastry for about 20 minutes at a preheated oven at 180c. Remove the weight and fully bake the pie until the pastry turned golden brown.
7. Remove the pie pastry from the oven, let cool before making the filling.
2 and 1/4tsp powdered gelatin
4 large egg yolks
30g corn flour
1. Arrange banana slices in the prepared pie crust, set aside.
2. Mix water and gelatin in a bowl, set aside till swelled.
3. Heat milk over low flame and stir it from time to time.
4. Whisk egg yolk and sugar in another mixing bowl, follow by adding the corn flour and salt and whisk till well combine.
5. Add in gelatin water (no 2) into egg yolk mixture.
6. Slowly add in warm milk into egg yolk mixture.
7. Bring the mixture over medium flame, stir mixture constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
8. Pour the filling into prepared pie crust, wait until cool enough then cover with plastic film and refrigerate for several hours before serve.
To serve- put the pie in a dish, drop a spoonful of ice cream (I serve with vanilla ice cream) on top and sprinkle shaved chocolate over the pie.
Happy Baking !!