If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, April 1, 2013

Food_Kota Bharu Kelantan (1)


This morning when I read My Kitchen Snippet's Malaysian Food Fest (MFF) Kelantan Month post, and I realized that we have actually tried few of the dishes and kuih-muih that mentioned in her post. Today I would like to share these two restaurants that mainly serve local Kelantan foods. This plate of rice is Nasi Kerabu with white rice, thinking to try blue rice but I guess at that time it was out of stock.


1) Restaurant Yati Ayam Percik, their main specialty is Ayam percik, which is a must try item in Kelantan..They also serves assorted type of local traditional Kelantan kuih-muih. This restaurant will definitely help you to understand more about the local Kelantan culture and traditions while tasting their delicious handmade cuisines.

 
charcoal grilled ayam percik

255

many varieties of side dishes
256

260

262

 
some of local kuih
264


that one at the right size is sambal daging, we did not try this..
257

 
 
Sira labu is pumpkin cooked in palm sugar, we did not try this either
258

ok, here were our orders, Ayam percik, taste quite similar like satay chicken, top with mild spicy sweet sauce, for me it taste similar like mayonnaise
 

292

 
Ikan percik
288

 
this normal fried fish actually taste better than ikan percik

289


And among all dishes, this was our favourite !! very nice Daging bakar (grilled beef)..
And we enjoy all these dishes with a plate of nasi Kerabu (1st picture)

290


Here were 3 types of sweet kuih that we ordered, not able to try all..
This is Buah Tanjong, similar like jala mas which main ingredients are egg, coconut milk and sugar. the taste is acceptable by us ^_^
 

263


 
My kids like this Kuih Bunga , deep fried glutinious rice ball top with deep fried egg that mix with white sugar, must try this at home very soon.
 

283


We saw this interesting kuih, Taik itek or Tahi itek ( duck's droppings ^_^), very special name ..
Bought one to try it out..the taste was too sweet for our liking..main ingredient egg white, flour and sugar..here is one example of recipe
 

293

254


Yati Ayam Percik
Cuisine: Malay
Address: 847, Jalan Long Yunus,
Kota Bahru, Kelantan, Malaysia
Tel: (609)7479867

2) Kedai Kopi White House. One of the local staff from the hotel where we were staying was highly recommended this place to us for a good breakfast. In fact, we returned to this same restaurant the next day.

 
This is my favourite among all foods i tried here, Nasi Tumpang.

294



299

Nasi tumpang  tasted like nasi ketupat, pressed rice sandwich between with gulai lemak ikan or udang (I actually tried both fish and prawn, I still prefer prawn), and serunding daging (meat floss), then wrapped with banana leaf into cone shape..
300

We also ordered nasi ayam (rice with fried chicken)

296

302

 
Lucas had his favourite nasi lemak, but i left behind my favourite nasi lemak because I want to try new thing, hehehe..

297

 
Nasi ikan ( rice with coconut milk fish)
304


Oh, this is our favourite, very nice kaya with toast, according to the worker here, the kaya made by duck eggs, and it was light in colour and very rich egg aroma but less coconut aroma ..When we went back the next day for breakfast again, everyone also ordered a plate of this..
303


a very crowded morning breakfast place !!
You know what, when I went back the next day, I saw many "no camera' sign , hahaha! Luckily they did not chase me out , LOL.
So you are lucky to view all these photos..
 

310

 
 
This restaurant is located beside the Istana Jahar (Jahar Palace)

314



 
And also beside the Masjid Muhammadi
318

Kedai Kopi White House
1329-L,
Jalan Sultanah Zainab,
Kota Bharu,
Kelantan

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Nasi Kerabu is my fav

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

那个nasi tumpang有特别下:)

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

nice post, Sonia..even though every sinle thing out here is new to me :)

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , good thing that we've got loads of tissue here lol Really scrumptious post ! Have you tried those pickled garlic ?

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

这让我想起N年前,
我也到过K.B. WhiteHouse吃早餐,
还记得当时大嫂大力推荐它的“半生熟蛋”
的确是不错。
谢谢分享。

Mel said...

Hi Sonia
I always enjoyed viewing all your travel photos. All those food really look very delicious; so many food wanted to try when it is new and have not try before, right?

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Everything look delish!!! Yummy post dear Sonia ;)

SKY@幸福小厨房 said...

nasi kerabu 我的最爱和ayam percik 女儿
最爱。每次回家一定去yati吃的。早餐都是家婆
去买的非常的好吃。哦好想吃耶

ICook4Fun said...

Thanks for sharing all the nice pictures of Kelantan with us. I hope I get to go there one day. By the way, hope you are able to join the MFF - Kelantan event this month :)

Christine said...

One of these of days I will travel to Malaysia to visit all the wonderful smaller town. I am always afraid of being robbed and not knowing how to speak Malay. I am Singaporean by birth but lived in the US for the last 34 yrs.

cikmanggis said...

Wah bestnya Sonia.....Setiap kali Cm balik kampung mesti beli ayam percik di yati percik.Ayam percik selalu naik kapal terbang dengan Cm hehe.

Nasi ikan tu nama sebenarnya Nasi Berlauk.Ada ikan,sambal dan timun.Kegemaran Cm jugak :)



Li Shuan said...

哈哈,店主怕了你,放了no camera sign ! 真的很庆幸能看到这些照片,没有人有机会再拍了。

喜欢那个ayam percik,nasi tumpang 和nasi lemak。 那个tahi itek我听名字就吓到了,我是不会试的。我已经帮人洗大便洗够了,不要再吃tahi OK 哈哈哈!那个出名的泰国"猫屎" 不管怎么好吃,我都是不会放进口的呵呵

谢谢你的好分享

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice recommendation. They really have lots of interesting kuih-muih.

Lite Home Bake said...

Nice post, very educational. This post really complements the intro for MFF Kelantan. So, we will be seeing some Kelante dishes from you further down the road?

My Little Space said...

Sonia, wish I am having all these for my breakfast right now. haha.... I am actually quite curious about the sweet kuih.
Thanks for taking us along the trip.
Kristy

Somewhere in Singapore said...

See the nasi lemak makes me wish i had it now for breakfast, kaka...

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

It's lunch time for me now & looking at these food pictures make me feel more hungry! I like the nasi tumpang & nasi lemak! When I was young, once a while, we would buy ayam percik from The Store & when I googled for the recipes, they didn't look like what I used to have. Oh by the way, just refer someone to your kedai runcit for the cute hokkaido cupcake liners. Her name is Rachel.Have a nice day!

MeRy said...

The nasi tumpang looks good.

Mich Piece of Cake said...

All the food that you posted looks so mouth watering. If I ever visit Kelantan, I shall be sure to hunt these down.

K.Nor said...

kedai kopi white house tu mmg femes nak2 dgn roti bakar dia tu :)

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Lovely photos from your trip. I like the nasi tumpang, but will not dare to try tahi itek ...kekeke

Esther Lau said...

OMG!!!I Love the ayam and ikan percik!!!! Beautifully photos and sharing!!!

chow and chatter said...

all new to me would love to try

Casey said...

好多好吃的食物,有机会要去!

Mama's Lebanese Kitchen said...

I've had the chance to try a fusion version of Malaysian food and loved it. I can only imagine what real Malay food is like. Thank you for sharing photos of those amazing and delicious looking dishes Sonia.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Chi! Thanks for sharing although I would not be able to sample any of the food any time soon... :(

The Nasi Ayam looks good?!

lena said...

lucky you did not get chased out for taking the photos otherwise we will not get the chance to look at the actual ones in kelantan :D

Jessie Siew said...

Next trip remember to try Khao Jam(Siamese Nasi Kerabu),Kelantan Laksa,Tepung Pelita,MURTABAK DIRAJA and lots more.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin