If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, April 11, 2013

What are the differences between Daun Kaduk and Daun Sirih


When I posted Kuih Daun Kaduk and Fried Daun Kaduk, few of my blogger friends were confuse and they thought that I was using  槟榔叶 or 栳叶 or Daun Sirih in Malay. Then I myself started to get confused with these types of leaves too . I wondered if I was eating daun kaduk or daun sirih ^_^ !!. This morning I got a chance to get a leaf of daun Sirih from an Indian lady who is selling daun sirih & fresh flowers in the morning market. I quickly compare the taste between daun kaduk from my backyard and daun Sirih. Finally , I have confirmed that  the plant in in my backyard is  Daun Kaduk, Yahoo !!! (sorry, I am a bit mabuk (drunk and dizzy) and high now because consumed this daun sirih , hehehe)

Here are my comparison :-

Daun Kaduk- Shape-round, shinning, soft and smooth surface , taste a bit lemony then followed by bitter taste, but surprised after cooked, it taste so nice.

Daun Sirih- Shape-same shape like daun Kaduk but longer, dull and a bit rough surface, taste mint aroma, followed by bitter and hot, numb the tongue.

You may find out more from these link here:-
1. Daun Kaduk by Delicious Malaysia
2. Daun Sirih
3. Miang Kam uses Bai Cha Plu NOT Betel Leaf (Bai Plu)

15 comments:

茄子 said...

谢谢你的解答。嘻嘻。其实我看了你最近的文章,初时单看外表我真的疑惑,现在总算揭开我心中的迷了。

PH said...

Hah! Hah! Hah! Sonia, I used to see my grandaunties chewing the daun sireh and their lips become like orange colour. Yah, the daun kaduk and daun sireh are two different things. I never tasted daun sireh. Better not, hor?

yvonne said...

I know a number of old Malay aunties like to chew daun sirih with kapur. I never tasted before but they said it's bitter :S

Baby Sumo said...

I have both growing in my garden, I prefer daun kaduk also.

Mel said...

I had a laugh when you said after consuming and testing out the daun sirih mabuk. It is kind of you to show us the types of daun kaduk and daun sirih here.

ann low said...

I also want to confirm mine is daun kaduk :)

Queenie said...

hahaha Sonia! I simply hi lite that issue because you wrote "betel leaf" in your prev post which is mean "daun sireh" while "daun kaduk" is "wild betel leaf"..

so I am afraid if someone use that betel leaf or daun sireh and goreng celup tepung...sure can mabuk one la hahaha...

i experienced once! put daun sireh in my masak lemak cili api, satu hari I tergolek mabuk, nasib baik tak mati oiii keh3

Queenie said...

dear Sonia, satu hari means the whole day! LOL

teruk tau mabuk makan daun sireh, tu ceiling rumah jatuh on the floor, and the floor panjat naik atas ceiling....

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Queenie, Hahaha, even I just had a small bite, now still mabuk sikit..not dare to eat again, hehehe..

Queenie said...

kih3...you better dont!

I taubat/serik sampai sekarang! hahaha...

luckily still panjang umur until today...bila I nampak you tulis "betel leaf" - I terus pening tertonggeng keh3...

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, nice posting. I got daun sirih plant but have not try the taste. I don't have the courage to bite the leave. :)

Have a nice day.

Samantha S. said...

Hi Sonia, I think the daun kaduk is the one we use it to cook a very popular Nyonya food called "Perut Ikan". Here is the link:
http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-perut-ikan-nyonya-fermented-fish/2/

Ana Regalado said...

Both look nearly similar lol I bet your kids won't touch those yummy fritters last time if they are bitter :D

Joceline Lor said...

收到了,太感激了。哈哈~

mui mui said...

Ah Chi,
Are they from the same family?
They look similar at first glance .
Thanks for showing both daun : )
mui

Blog Widget by LinkWithin