If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pure Vanilla Chiffon Cake 香草戚风


I have been wanting to make a basic chiffon cake using pure vanilla bean and same time can try out a new chiffon pan (a slim and tall chiffon tube pan ) that I bought since last year. I "die die" also baked two mini vanilla chiffon yesterday, even I was very busy, hehehe..Also in this post, I am also sharing the basic techniques (even I am not that expert ^__^) on how to handle chiffon making for benefiting to new home bakers..
A chiffon using pure vanilla bean is so fragrance and nice!!


480 copy

514 copy


Lets see my new tall and slim chiffon tube pan, it is taller than the usual heart shape chiffon tube pan and normal chiffon tube pan 
406


416


I am sure you can bake a nice chiffon cake if you are using a right chiffon pan, there must be a tube or insert at the center of the pan in order for the cake to climb up !! and a NOT non-stick pan..
465 copy


Lets see the steps on how to make a basic chiffon cake. If you can get Top flour ( High ratio flour and the lightest flour ), use this flour instead of normal cake flour, you can have a very light and fluffy chiffon.


Pure Vanilla Chiffon
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 2 x 6” chiffon


 To infuse vanilla bean in water (if you are not using vanilla bean, skip this step)


1 vanilla bean
150g water

Method

1. To split vanilla bean lengthwise and scraped the seeds and put into a saucepan.


398



2. Add in the bean and water, boil for 5mins, set aside to cool for 1hour.


402


3. Drain the bean and retain vanilla water


421




To make Vanilla Chiffon
(using hand whisk method)


5 egg yolks
20g sugar
90g vanilla water (or 85g water + 1tsp vanilla extract)
70g corn oil
125g Top flour (high ratio flour) or cake flour


5 egg whites
90g sugar
1tsp lemon juices or 1/2tsp cream of Tartar


Method


1. Prepare two NOT non-stick chiffon tube pans.


416

2. Immediately separate cold eggs after taken them out from the refrigerator (cold eggs separate more easily) into two mixing bowls (No oil and no water in these bowls, clean and dry bowls) . Set aside and allow them return to room temperature.


409


408


3. Add in sugar into egg yolks, immediately lightly whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light (Try to whisk immediately once sugar is added into egg yolks, egg will cover the sugar and turned hard if sit there for too long).


417



419


4. Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in vanilla water, stir well to combine.


420



5. Sift in flour, stir till well combine.


423


6. Whisk egg whites and lemon juices or cream of tartar till foamy, gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until soft peak formed (takes about 4-5mins using speed 3 at a hand mixer)


425


428



7.Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well and lighten the egg yolk batter (Do not worry you will deflate the batter at this stage )


429




430


8. Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in 1/3 of meringue, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.

431


435


9. Pour cake batter into chiffon tins, wipe off those excess batter stick on the tube or insert area. Fill batter about 80% full but not fill too full as cake has no space to rise while baking and resulted cake shrink a lot). Tap pan on the counter top to remove air trapped inside the batter.
Bake at pre-heated oven at 160c (fan-forced) for 40-45mins at middle to low rack.


437




440



10.Once baked, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
443

11. Chiffon cake is ready to unmould. You can use a plastic thin spatula to run the pan and unmould the chiffon or you can unmould using bare hands method if you have master this skill.



445
See how tall is this chiffon when compare with normal chiffon.

540 copy


Two lovely knitted dolly made by my SIL , Thanks Annie!!
550 copy

Less guilty eating this light and fluffy chiffon, no butter and no cream ^_^

558 copy


Next time, I will share with you how to bake a chiffon using a pan that has no tube or insert, but you still able to get a perfect chiffon..

73 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Tall and nice...

Mel said...

Hi Sonia
What a great post on chiffon cake. Reminded me that my first time baking a chiffon cake was a big flop. The tall tube pan looks great too.

Yannie said...

I still don't have the courage to make chiffon cake. I find it tedious to bake.

Diane said...

We do not eat a lot of cake, but that does look good. Take care Diane

Joceline Lor said...

我还有一支香草夹,看是时候出场了。哈哈哈。。。。。。

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Nice post.

I like your slim and tall chiffon pan.

Bakericious said...

Sonia, thanks for the detail post, I am so tempting to bake a chiffon now. Love your tall chiffon, very nice.

Karen said...

Sonia..very nice chiffon cake..many thx for the detail post..:)

My Little Space said...

Ooo...love those moulds! I bet your cupboard already packed full of all these stuffs. haha....
Kristy

Joelyn Wong said...

Wah cantik! "Kam Siah" Sonia for the post and guide.

Joelyn Wong said...

Wah cantik! "Kam Siah" Sonia for the post and guide.

irene myme said...

Yes...after seeing this post, I wanted to bake a chiffon too.

Esther Lau said...

Very nice and tall chiffon cake!!!!
Thank you for the useful and detail step of making chiffon cake :)

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

lovely chiffon cake u have, and the knitted cloth really cantik, i banyak suka oh,hahahaha!

Tracy Low said...

确实是糕身段比较没,我喜欢最后第2张照片哦!

Little blue said...

i want to try this because i have some vanilla bean...

Shu Han said...

great step by step photos! If anyone needs to make a chiffon cake, they probably can't go wrong with this post now! sharing with my sis :)

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

很棒的分享,谢谢你:)

Ling yuen chin said...

Delicious !!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Yes, I've seen Eileen & Sabrina using the same small chiffon pan! The chiffon cakes look very pretty with the dolly! 5 eggs can make 2 chiffon cakes, one keep & another giving away also not bad hoh!

Li Shuan said...

高挑的戚风,更胜一筹!

ann low said...

WOW! so pretty especially the tall chiffon cake. The pan too :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love the cake tins, very cute!

Baby Sumo said...

Sonia, you should be known as the "Queen of Chiffon" la. I have seen many of your chiffon cakes and they always look so amazing!

lena said...

how many chiffon pans do you have? hehe..

hui said...

thank you a million times over for sharing this very detailed step-by-step chiffon cake.. i've finally figured out and made a chiffon cake that i can proudly say, "it looks and taste right!" thank you for sharing this.. a bake so easy for some, yet so difficult for others.. thank you! ^^

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Cake looks simply awesome.
Deepa

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

详细的解说来得正是时候,
谢谢师父,
两个去七风都很美,安迪漾受益了。

PH said...

Sonia, thank you for the tips and techniques! Waiting for the next one, cepat ah!

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , I'm drooling over that tall and slim chiffon pan lol What size is that ?

I love , love your chiffon pan er cake :D Perfectly-baked and pretty delicious !

Crystal Loh said...

终于看见了,好漂亮戚风模(是三能牌子吗)与蛋糕。

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Hi Sonia, I love your mini chiffon tins! And the chiffon looks so beautifully risen.

Unknown said...

漂亮美味的蛋糕,一定要来杯咖啡,识走啦!哈哈哈~

zila norazila said...

the mould sgt cantik..easy la..i try to find one also..

Anonymous said...

May know where to get the same cliffon pan? i wish to buy too..

QembarDelites said...

Love your new tall chiffon pan, and it bakes such perfect chiffon, so golden colored!

Casey said...

戚风好高好美哦!

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Sonia, i am going to refer to this post when i make my first chiffon cake heehee. Thanks for the step by step instructions. No butter or oil, my kinda cake.

Lady G said...

Adding Chiffon Pan on my shopping list.

From the Pen of Lady G

Lady G on Tumblr

Lady G on Facebook

Twitter @bloggerladyg

xx
LadyG

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous, I will include this tall chiffon pan in my Kedai Runcit soon, check it out later ya.

Baking Scientist said...

Your cake looks so tall and yummy! :)

Anonymous said...

So tempting-Vanilla Chiffon cake. Wanted to do this weekend. I'm looking for this type tall chiffon pan, do u sell a bigger size - abt 7inch or 8 inch? thanks fr Angeline Woon

Amie said...

Wow! Tq Sonia... senang nak belajar step by step ni, suka tengok chiffon yang tinggi tu....!

Eileen, Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Wow, your chiffon rose perfectly. Nice: )

divya said...

Looks amazing !

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I like your posting. May I know where to get the tall chiffon mould? Thanks!

Queenie said...

I'll refer to you when I wanna bake chiffon next time, awesome!

hanushi said...

Like your cake stand.. :)) Of cos liking the tall chiffon cake too... :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Angeline, there is no stock now as I have to order, will check whether they have bigger size.

Passionate About Baking said...

It's lovely Sonia! Simplest treat!

Small Kucing said...

am so jealous. you cake puff up so nicely

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Hi Sonia,

Did u get the slim mould from tabao? Can I have the link please?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Its me again asking about the slim mould. I cant wait to try your wonderful recipe but I need to get the mould first, right? The round mound will not yield the same result;> pls share the link.
Thk a mil :>

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Wow, absolutely speechless! Your chiffon cake has always perfect look. I'm still a bit intimidated by this...but will need to try one day!

Anonymous said...

(awww.. i posted a comment ytd night but it didn't show up)

Hello Sonia,

I'm new to here. :) was google-ed about chiffon cake and saw your website. wanna say thank you so much for sharing your tips and recipes. sad to say my first chiffon failed and the second one looked okay.. maybe hmmm 7/10..
anyway wanna ask where can i find the vanilla bean? as in i can hardly see it in supermarket. wanna try this vanilla flavor for my third chiffon.

oh btw I'm Sonia.. too.. :D

hope to hear from you soon. thanks!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous and Angel, my friend in China bought this pan for me but not sure she got it from which taobao China link. Anyway, you can search for model SN5234. Hope this helps.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sonia (we have same name ^_^), you can try to get it from Jaya Gocer, Bangsar Village or Big supermarket at Publika.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for your reply.
opps i forgot to mention I'm from JB. :)
do you think if i can find the vanilla bean at Jusco or Giant or Tesco these supermarket?

xoxo- Sonia

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Thanks Sonia.

mui mui said...

Ah Chi,
You chiffon looks very pretty!
You unmould them so well.
Thumb Up for you:)
mui

Goody Egg said...

Is it with removable pan?

jamie said...

Thks my 1st tried was successful.just the outer layer a bit dry.

Carmen said...

hey hi.. can i know what if i don't have any vanilla bean?? can i replace it with bean paste??

Anonymous said...

Its really very beautiful. You made chiffon baking look so affortless!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm from,Thailand. I'm a new baker. I baked this recipe 3-4 times. I love this recipe so much. thank you very much for your recipe and knowledge. Thank you. ^_^

julia said...

I am making it now...till now its looking perfect..I can see it has risen perfectly. .After 10mins it wil b done...dunno how it will taste like. .lets hope for the best. .fingers crossed. .I will let everyone know how it was..

Unknown said...

With these times its really costly to try to experiment with recipes. I have had to cut back on stocking my pantry, and have had to rely on great reviews like this when it comes to trying new recipes. I'm confident enough this recipe will work for me! Thanks for sharing you recipe.

http://dapurresepnusantara.blogspot.com/ said...

You made chiffon baking look so affortless!...

Unknown said...

Hi, if im baking a 9inch, should i double the recipe? :S Thanks in advance!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Christina, I think this recipe just nice for a 9" cake tin , don't need to double . Otherwise just add one more egg to become 6 eggs and recalculate the rest of ingredients .

satorah said...

Hi Sonia, I have made this cake a few times with consistent success. Thank you! I am wondering if I were to make it chocolate flavoured, should I add the cocoa powder and minus some of the flour? Or will it be too heavy?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Satorah, yes you can, add cocoa powder and reduce flour , but suggest you add a bit of baking soda .

tracy said...

hi..very nice chiffon ..may I know where to buy this such tall chiffon cake pan?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin