I was introduced to Chinese preserved olive vegetables 橄榄菜 when we ordered a plate of stir fried green beans with Chinese olive vegetables in a Chinese restaurant the other day. Since then, I will order this dish whenever we taking meal in outside Chinese restaurant, because my kids simply like this dish a lot. And I also quite often cook this dish at home.
This time, I was using the same ingredients but make a new twist by adding eggplants, it taste good too.
This is Chinese preserved olive vegetables 橄榄菜 , you can get it from wet market or supermarket, easy to get this. And this consider as a vegetarian sauce..
Updated on 14th Apr- This piece of information is extracted from an article in Chinese Newspaper-Sin Jew Daily. Actually Chinese preserved olive vegetables is using mustard leaf but not olive leaf . Air dry mustard leaves then soak in Olive oil (I guess they use Chinese olive oil but not Western type of olive oil) . And I also found a homemade preserved olive vegetable recipe here.
The important point of making this yummy vegetarian dish is you have to deep fry the eggplant and green beans first. After deep fried, both tasted with very nice aroma..
Stir fried green beans and eggplant with Chinese preserved olive vegetable
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
180g eggplant, cut into small pieces
260g French green beans, cut into small pieces
1tsp chopped garlic
2tbsp Chinese olive vegetable
1tsp sugar or to taste
- Deep fry eggplant pieces till light golden brown, drain on paper.
- Deep fry green beans till light golden brown, drain on paper.
- In the same wok, leave 1tbsp of deep frying oil, add in garlic and Chinese preserved olive vegetables, stir fry for a while.
- Return deep fried eggplant and green beans to the wok, add in sugar, stir to mix well.
- Dish out and serve with steamed white rice.