If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Stir fried green beans and eggplant with Chinese preserved olive vegetable 清炒橄榄菜青豆茄子粒


I was introduced to Chinese preserved olive vegetables 橄榄菜 when we ordered a plate of stir fried green beans with Chinese olive vegetables in a Chinese restaurant the other day. Since then, I will order this dish whenever we taking meal in outside Chinese restaurant, because my kids simply like this dish a lot. And I also quite often cook this dish at home.
This time, I was using the same ingredients but make a new twist by adding eggplants, it taste good too.



100 copy

This is Chinese preserved olive vegetables 橄榄菜 , you can get it from wet market or supermarket, easy to get this. And this consider as a vegetarian sauce..
105

Updated on 14th Apr- This piece of information is extracted from an article in Chinese Newspaper-Sin Jew Daily. Actually Chinese preserved olive vegetables is using mustard leaf but not olive leaf . Air dry mustard leaves then soak in Olive oil (I guess they use Chinese olive oil but not Western type of olive oil) . And I also found a homemade preserved olive vegetable recipe here.




The important point of making this yummy vegetarian dish is you have to deep fry the eggplant and green beans first. After deep fried, both tasted with very nice aroma..

094 copy



Stir fried green beans and eggplant with Chinese preserved olive vegetable
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)


 260g French green beans, cut into small pieces
070 copy 180g eggplant, cut into small pieces
1tsp chopped garlic
2tbsp Chinese olive vegetable
1tsp sugar or to taste


 Method


  1. Deep fry eggplant pieces till light golden brown, drain on paper.
  2. Deep fry green beans till light golden brown, drain on paper.
  3. In the same wok, leave 1tbsp of deep frying oil, add in garlic and Chinese preserved olive vegetables, stir fry for a while.
  4. Return deep fried eggplant and green beans to the wok, add in sugar, stir to mix well.
  5. Dish out and serve with steamed white rice.

31 comments:

Mel said...

Hi Sonia
I love this Preserved Olive Vegetables. I love having stir fried it with baby green beans as well as using it in fried rice. The brand you are using/showing in this post, it is salty type?

Ana Regalado said...

I still got nearly half full of that preserved Chinese olives here :P Love the addition of egg plants , not only it adds texture , it also adds a pretty color to that yummy dish !

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

这橄榄菜我向来只配粥吃,
原来可以炒菜阿!
Sonia,你真的好懂用材料,
又多学了,谢谢!:)

Amie said...

Hi Sonia,
cantiknya hidangan... potongan yang kecil2 tu buat kita senang nak makan...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

感谢分享,家里都有这些材料呢:)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Tell you softly, i hardly take green green item, kaka...

ann low said...

I always keep a bottle of this olive vegetable in my pantry. Also good for porridge and fried rice.

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I love this olive veg too... have been using it to fry rice, great idea to fry long beans with this...

mui mui said...

Chi,
This is a very flavourful dish.
Can eat non stop with extra rice :p
mui

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mel, yes, this type is slight salty type

Li Shuan said...

I came to know 橄榄菜when I visited 汕头many years ago. I always eat porridge with it n never thought of frying with other vegs. Thanks for sharing the new idea.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good, suitable for porridge.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Oh I never knew got Chinese olive vegetable. I learn something new here today.

Queenie said...

Hi Sonia, this is something new to me, never thought theres a preserve olive vegetable, the pic alone makes me wanna give a try...never tried this before!

Dumpling Love said...

I love this preserved vegetable! It's great with plain congee! I sometimes just make an omelette with it, or fry it with beehoon =) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

PH said...

Sonia, this is a new ingredient to me. But looks very sedap, I know I will love this vege dish!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

我也喜欢用橄榄菜炒菜,好好吃呢 :)

Lite Home Bake said...

Love the twist! Adding eggplants is a sure good idea :)

Joceline Lor said...

咸香的口味~ 我想来碗白粥哦。

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

thanks for sharing how you used the Chinese olive vegetables to make this appetizing dish!

My Little Space said...

Sonia, what a wonderful dish to share with. I saw this chinese olive at the shop & always wonder what to do with them. Not dare to buy it unless I found something for it. Now, I can finally get a bottle to try it out. Thanks.
Have a great week ahead dear.
Kristy

QembarDelites said...

First time I am seeing this too! Looks like fatt choy to me! I like the way you cook this vegetable dish!

Unknown said...

a good recipe to try. i never thinks to fry long beans with olive vege. thanks.

Simplyfood said...

Colourful and delicious and healthy too.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Hi Sonia, I wish I have the Chinese olive vegetables here with me so that I an cook this dish today and let my stepdaughter and SIL try it. Maybe I can find this in the Valley Produce.

Esther Lau said...

Sonia, this is another great seasoning for vegetable. Thanks for sharing :P

LEY said...

Yeah Sonia,

You have given me one more idea to finish my olive vege which i used to fried long bean rice normally.

FYI, it goes well with kai lan as well, eat this dish at 高人官

Small Kucing said...

oh that's the secret ya...never thought of it

divya said...

I am drooling!!! looks great...

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

In general I love preserved vegetables and I didn't know Chinese use olives (Japanese cooking don't). How interesting and I enjoy learning new dishes from you!

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Hi Sonia, i just recently discover preserved olive leaves - so tasty! love it in fried rice and teochew porridge. Must try this one soon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin