If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, April 5, 2013

Kuih Daun Kaduk 萎葉茶粿 (Wild Betel Leaf Ang Ku Kuih (steamed glutinous rice cake)


After I tasted with deep fried daun kaduk (recipe coming soon), and I realized that daun kaduk (betel leaf) can be tasted so nice, no raw or bitter taste but very fragrance instead. Since then, I starting to figure out new ideas to using daun kaduk to make into sweet kuih-muih (local cakes & snacks). I never came across local peoples using daun kaduk making into kuih-muih but usually they made into savoury dishes. I always admire Japanese peoples on their creativity, why they can use sakura leaves to make into various sweet and snacks e.g sakura mochi..So today I proof that our local herbs can be using to make nice kuih too..
As I know, daun kaduk is not 槟榔叶 (mostly consume by Indian community) even though they are come from the same family. From what I found here,  Chinese name should be called as 萎葉 (see link here) ..correct me if I am wrong..



208 copy

Daun Kaduk is very easy to grow..

IMG_9397

Before steaming, the colours are so fresh and natural !!
Basically I am using Ang Ku Kueh (steamed glutinous rice cake) recipe to create this Kuih Daun Kaduk. I add purple sweet potato into the skin dough and filling is sweet coconut filling ..

154 copy

I am so happy this daun kaduk perfectly work together with Ang Ku Kuih, very nice and special..
When you bite the kuih together daun kaduk, you can't really taste the aroma from the leaf..very very mild aroma I would said..


180 copy




Kuih Daun Kaduk 萎葉茶粿 (Wild Betel Leaf Ang Ku Kueh (glutinous rice steamed cake)
(recipe source: created by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 20pcs

Coconut filling
150g grated coconut
208 copy 55g gula Melaka (palm sugar), chopped
40g water
1 pandan leaf, knotted
a pinch of salt

 Method
1. Add gula Melaka, pandan leaf and water in a saucepan, bring to boil until sugar melted.
2. Discard pandan leaf, add in grated coconut and salt, stir until slightly dry and well combine. Set aside.

Sweet Potato dough
130g purple sweet potatoes, cut into small pieces
200g glutinous rice flour
2tsp sugar
2tbsp corn oil
200ml water or adjust accordingly

 Method
1. Steam sweet potatoes till soft, about 15mins.
2. Use a fork, mashed the cooked sweet potatoes, add in glutinous rice flour, sugar, and corn oil, slowly add in water to mix well till soft dough, keep aside and rest 30mins.

IMG_0242

3. Shape into 25g small ball

 To shape and cook Daun Kaduk kuih

 20pcs daun kaduk / betel leaves, choose medium sizes

Method
1. Brushing corn oil on the back or rough side of daun kaduk.
IMG_0246
2. Flatten the sweet potato ball, place a spoon of coconut filling at the centrel, cover and shape into round ball.
IMG_0244
3. Wrap ball with a piece of daun kaduk, lightly press it.
IMG_0247
4. Arrange kuih daun kaduk on a steaming tray (line with banana leaf and brush some corn oil) and steam for 10mins over high flame.

143 copy

 my notes:-
1. Difference sweet potato has difference texture, some is soft and watery, do not add all water at one go, slowly add and knead till a soft dough. If the dough is too soft, then you may add more glutinous rice flour.


Oh ya, next I am planning to make pink Kuih Daun kaduk, that look pinky sweet like sakura mochi , looking forward..

219 copy

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of sakuramochi :)

PH said...

Very cute leh! If I remember correctly. my grandma put this daun kaduk into curry. The smell is a bit strong.

Mel said...

If you just mentioned daun kaduk, I wouldn't know what is that but I know what is betel leaf! You are very creativity in creating something unique and difference out from the usual. A pat on your shoulder Sonia. After steaming, does this leaf infused out any flavour or aroma/fragrant into the kuih?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mel, no, can't really taste any flavour or aroma, very very mild flavour when you bite the daun kaduk..try it out then you know how it taste ^_^

Unknown said...

OMG 太吸引人了啦!!!!!!大赞;)

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

创意哦!
我喜欢,:)
选天我一定试做,加油!

小雨伞 said...

好陌生的叶子 ><
从窗口看到angku kueh, 本以为你家又败了新的寿桃木模,哈哈哈!进来才知道是我摆乌龙了。。

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Nice purple colour

Esther Lau said...

Daun Kaduk???? I google it, but still no idea what daun is this???? hahaha...Anway these kuih looks beautiful and look like sakuramochi :)

ann low said...

The kuih duan look very pretty. My friend gave me this plant long ago (I don't know the name of it until now) and I planted in my backyard. Now I know what to do with it :D

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

First time seeing this daun kaduk! Like how you present the kuih not just because i love purple ...hehe. Also because i like sakuramochi too ;)

Chef and Sommelier said...

Wow Chi! You are really creative!

I love ang ku kuih very much especially those with mung bean paste filling but I don't know much about betel leaves.

Nice colour combination and I wish I would be able to sample some of your creations! :D

Cat Chee said...

哇~好“吸睛”的粿!

bernice's kitchen said...

特别耶!边看边想象它的味道。。。。

Joceline Lor said...

这个是老叶吗?可以卷和kapur灰一起吃的。或是拜拿督公公的神料里面有的。

Li Shuan said...

Yes, it looks like the Sakuramochi. Ohh...I never came across daun kaduk, very "suaku" !
I'm looking fwd for the pink one

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, when I look at the picture without reading your explanation, my 1st thought was the daifuku wrapped with leaf which I used to buy from a Japanese grocery shop. You are so creative! So, any pink version coming out?

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我喜欢那个碟子列
实在好漂亮
当然,糕点也是

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

很美的紫色,加上这特别的叶子,显得更美了!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Joceline, 我所知道这个不是老叶。这叶子是常用在otak-otak.

cikmanggis said...

Whoaaaa kagumnya ...1st time dapat tahu daun kaduk boleh balut kuih manis.Menarik sungguh menarik.Cm ada satu pasu pokok kaduk.Pasti nk cuba jugak
Sungguh kreatif dan kuihnya pun nampak cantik.I suka purple.:)

cikmanggis said...

Whoaaaa kagumnya ...1st time dapat tahu daun kaduk boleh balut kuih manis.Menarik sungguh menarik.Cm ada satu pasu pokok kaduk.Pasti nk cuba jugak
Sungguh kreatif dan kuihnya pun nampak cantik.I suka purple.:)

cikmanggis said...

Whoaaaa kagumnya ...1st time dapat tahu daun kaduk boleh balut kuih manis.Menarik sungguh menarik.Cm ada satu pasu pokok kaduk.Pasti nk cuba jugak
Sungguh kreatif dan kuihnya pun nampak cantik.I suka purple.:)

Little Corner of Mine said...

You made it so pretty! I never have this kuih before, would love to try it.

Unknown said...

very special. i first time c this kind of leave. it looks yummy.

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

My mom's house got daun kaduk but i never tried before lei...

Annie's Journal said...

I really like the look of it...it's like mini eggplant or aubergine! Sonia, You're very artistic in your cooking:)

rachel said...

好特别噢~

Rumbling Tummy said...

Looking at this leaves, initial thought was pepper leave. I see this at many places but I didn't know it is edible. Love how you presented it.

Small Kucing said...

sonia...this one is so nice!!!!!!

Am going to try out this recipe....hmm but first have to go pasar hunt for the daun....not growing my place here

Small Kucing said...

sonia...this one is so nice!!!!!!

Am going to try out this recipe....hmm but first have to go pasar hunt for the daun....not growing my place here

My Little Space said...

Sonia, loving your idea very much. They look so cute. Pink should looks awesome as well. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Weekend.
Kristy

Ana Regalado said...

I've seen some betel leaf before but never thought that it can be use for something delicious :D Very creative , Sonia ! Your kuihs look pretty yummy !

Mich Piece of Cake.\ said...

This is very creative. The betel leaves make the kuih looks very pretty.

Angie's Recipes said...

What unique and delicious little treats!

Shu Han said...

looks gorgeous sonia! I LOVE LOVE LOVE kuehs! hate that I probably will never get a chance to make this one, at least here in london, because there's no way I could get hodl of those leaves. for now, I'll just dream of them....

Nadji said...

C'est original et c'est magnifique.
Bravo!!!!
A bientôt

irene myme said...

糕点好精致漂亮,你好棒哦!^o*

Gloria Baker said...

Hi Sonia Look beautiful and delicious!!

mui mui said...

Ah Chi,
So this is the daun kaduk that you mention that day.
It really looks like 老叶。I must hunt for this leaves and try this out :D
mui

Sally said...

原本我以为是厝叶,食谱书有看过,
我去翻开你的旧文,还好你有放上照片,
让我能够认出两叶的差别。。。
不过很可惜的是至今我还没找到厝叶。。呵呵。。

Baby Sumo said...

Hi Sonia, I like your kuih.. so pretty. I have only had daun kaduk with mieng kam (savoury Thai appetizer).I think the one u mean tht Indian community like is daun sirih.

Bakericious said...

looks so pretty to be eaten!

lena said...

very special and good that can eat the leaf as well :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,
I am one of yr silent reader. I love yr blog btw.
Just to clarify. Betel leaf is the one you chew (old grandma used to do this) whereas daun kaduk is used as herbs, especially in Malay and Thai cooking, such as masak lemak daun2 tempoyak. They look quite similar. Betel leaf would need a support to grow (like dragon fruit) whereas daun kaduk is spread low on ground. What you have here is daun kaduk..(not sure of its English name)

Fauziah
keep up the good work.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

This is so pretty, and the color is extraordinary!!

Crazee Patches said...

Hi,
Yes..you've got a good way of using the daun kaduk. As pointed out by other Daun kaduk is not betel leaf (daun sirih) but u got it right to say it's 'wild'. Actual name is wild pepper (Piper sarmentosum). Here's the link http://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokok_Kaduk

Do continue with your culinary adventure. from crazeeEat.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hello,
There is a Vietnamese dish called "bo la lot" that use this betel leaf to wrap ground beef then grill it. The aroma of the leaf with the beef is very nice. You should google and try it out. Have a nice day!
Yu

Blog Widget by LinkWithin