If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Klang Claypot Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Tea) 吧生瓦煲肉骨茶


On the past few days, no sunlight and almost raining everyday. I was busy with running in and out with wet laundry. I even have to sent our daily clothes to outside laundry. I was thinking to buy a dryer but after knew the electricity bill going to increase by Jan 2014, i think I have to drop this idea. So I have no mood to bake or cook any new foods in this kind of weather, Xian!
Anyway, I try to dig out some old photos and recipes, one of the recipe is this Bak Kut Teh (pork ribs simmered in mixed herbs and spices broth ) which I had cooked it few months ago. Also this time i cooked Bak Kut Teh from the scratch..


BKT2 copy

 
Usually I use my friend's ready packet of "Old Grand Bah Kut Teh"(老手秘方肉骨茶包), which I don't know what herbs contain inside the packet.
One day, I got a ready packet from a nearby Chinese herbs shop, and I was glad that they didn't grind the herbs, I still can see the contents..

BKT herbs mix

I was patiently separate out each of the herbs and count the quantity. Once I separated it out, I realized I don't know some of the herb's name. I went back to the shop, luckily the shop owner willing to tell me the name of the herbs..

BKT herbs list_with name1

 
Beside the standard herbs, i also added few items..
BKT addition

 
And great to know that it tasted almost the same with the usual one I prepared..
In fact, in this cool weather, serving BKT just perfect timing...
BKT3 copy

 
How to cook, first prepare the herbs pouch..
bkt77.jpg


 
Simmering pork ribs with herbs pouch
bkt99.jpg


 
Cooking fragrance garlic oiled rice
BKT_rice
preparing Klang style of Claypot Bak Kut Teh (Klang style is thicker and darker, followed Hokkien style)
 
Bkt88


BKT5 copy


Klang Claypot Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Tea) 吧生瓦煲肉骨茶
*serves 5-6pax

Chinese Herbs to put into a muslin filter pouch
3 sticks Tong Sun党参
BKT1 copy 1 slice Gui Picinnamon skin) 桂皮
10 slices Gui Zhi(cinnamon sticks)桂枝
1pc Chen Pi (sun-dried tangerine peel)陳皮
45g Yu Zhu/ Yok Chok玉竹
2 sticks Gan Cau甘草
3 slices Chuan Xiong川芎
1pc Shu Di熟地
1 stick Niu Qi牛七
3 slices Don Gui当归
1/2tsp White peppercorn白楜椒
1/2tsp Black peppercorn黑楜椒
1/2tsp Hua Jiao花椒 , 3 small star anise 八角
1/2tsp Fennel seeds小茴香
1tsp Goji /Wolfberries枸杞

1kg pork ribs, blanch in hot water, set aside
2.5lts water
2 roasted garlics (whole)
1 honey date蜜枣
2 roasted whole garlic黑蒜头
 
2tbsp light soy sauce
2tbsp dark caramel soy sauce
Salt to taste

Method

  1. Bring water to boil in a big pot. Soak herbs pouch in hot water for 5mins. Discard water.
  2. Add in herbs pouch, honey date and garlic, boil for 15mins
  3. Add in pork ribs, season with light soy sauce, simmer over medium low heat for 30mins.
  4. Add in dark caramel soy sauce and adjust taste with salt, continue to boil for 15mis. Bak Kut Teh now is ready to enjoy with rice or keep for next step (cook with claypot).


Fragrance garlic oiled rice

4 cups uncooked rice, wash and clean
5 and 1/2cups water (or adjust according to the type of rice that you use)
1tsp salt
½ bulb garlic, chopped
4tbsp cooking oil

Method

  1. Fry garlic in cooking oil till golden brown.
  2. Add rice in a rice cooker, add in garlic oil, water and salt, cook the rice.

To prepare Clay pot Bah Kut Teh
120g tofu puff
2 sheets bean curd sheets (tau ki), tear pieces, soaked in water to soften and deep fried
Green lettuce
5 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
½ can of button mushroom, sliced

Condiments
Yau Char Kwaior or yautiou油条 (strips of fried dough)
Light soy sauce and chili padi (small chilies) dipping sauce
Fried shallots

Method

  1. Scoop some Bah Kut The (meat and soup) into a clay pot. Add in tofu puff, fried bean curd sheets, Shiitake mushroom slices and button mushroom sliced, bring to boil and cook for 2-3mins.
  2. Top with green lettuce, serve hot with fragrance garlic oiled rice that top with fried shallots. Dip Yau Char Kwai with Bah Kut Teh soup and dip meat with light soy sauce and chili padi dipping sauce. Enjoy !!
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

38 comments:

Karen said...

天气冷冷的,看见这个简直就是胃口大开,我要去你家做客了啦。。嘻嘻!

Tracy Low said...

材料10足的肉骨茶哦!
我也很就没有吃了,现在看到都想吃。

Sally said...

我还没吃过吧生的肉骨茶,
说真的我比较喜欢马国的肉骨茶。。
你的食谱我收下了,谢谢你的分享^_^

Veronica said...

Yummy! I loved the darker colour version of BKT.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

sonia好本事哦!还可以解开BKT之谜,厉害厉害!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia dear, must really commend you for the trouble to find out what's in the BKT herbal packet. My hubby will definitely like this and I gonna follow this recipe. Thanks.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Wow, delicious BKT u cook, hehe....

Mel said...

Eating out for Bak Kut Teh is getting pricey nowadays so it is as good as cooking it at home. I totally love to use the herbs rather than the grind powder pouch. You are so good and hardworking of separating the herbs and naming it out individually for all of us to get more familiar with. I thank you for this! And now.... Sonia's Bak Kut Teh Restaurant! Can I book for a table for two?

Joceline Lor said...

哇!在家吃肉骨茶很轻松爽快也!

这里下雨了。来个热乎乎的 bak kut teh 软身很舒服。

Cat Chee said...

流口水了~好赞哟!!

Christine said...

Yummy make me really hungry for Bak Kut Teh now!!

Li Shuan said...

今天这里忽然也变得很冷,我懒惰煮饭,跑去吃burger,不好吃的。。看到你这锅好料,真的很想吃。佩服你的精神,还可以这样解肉骨茶谜。。呵呵! 厉害!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I also prefer M'sia style BKT,hehe..

Gloria Fernandes said...

so flavourful and yummy..never heard of it before..sounds interesting

柠檬叶 said...

wah~ food expert!!!

Anonymous said...

Salute for you gathering all the chinese spices and name it one by one!
i guess should stick with the store brought pack, unfortunately it was packed for about 1 kg of pork ribs...
then i should process it into coarsed tea and cook the half of it for 500 grams ribs....

Sem said...

I am so happy to see you have posted the recipe for the BKT ,my husband is a great fan of BKT and normally will drive all the way to Klang's famous bak ku teh shop just to savour this delicious dish.

Choi Yen said...

Ya, I sent my wet laundry for drying at dobi too :(

Victoria Bakes said...

i mean, seriously Sonia... i think you should get an award... the trouble you take to do some dishes just amaze me... your family members are so lucky... if i were your neighbour.. ha.. i will self invite to your house for makan everyday

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Wow, what a feast! I got so excited when looking at the types of herbs that you displayed there! Look very yummy. BUt hubby doesn't like it.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Wow, what a feast! I got so excited when looking at the types of herbs that you displayed there! Look very yummy. BUt hubby doesn't like it.

PH said...

Wah...Sonia, I "gian" already! Thanks also for the garlic rice recipe. I tried it once at Kelana Jaya, very nice with BKT.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

师傅,再次给你敬礼!
你好棒! 加分!

Casey said...

要煮好料的肉骨茶真的不容易,要用那么多材料的,你好厉害!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh so yummy.... Thumbs up

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, it looks like from the restaurant! Now I miss the Klang BBT, used to eat it every weekend with my parents.

Lite Home Bake said...

This is just the right thing for rainy days, nothing beats a piping hot bowl of BKT! Thank you for sharing the bit on the herbs used in BKT :)

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , that looks very appetizing ! Really good for our cold weather here . The herbs you have there look like the ones the Chinese doctor dispenses with to cure what's ailing you :D

Esther Lau said...

Alamak! I am hungry for this BKT especially raining day! Sioknya! Hehe...

lena said...

same here, has been raining for the past few days...initially wanted to bake bread but later think better not. I am also not aware of some of the ingredients listed here, thx..this is educational!

rooeee said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. Did you miss out star anise in your list of ingredients? In the photo, there is star anise but not listed in your recipe.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

rooeee, Thanks for point out the error, I have included star anise in the recipe.

Sheila said...

Hi Sonia

I have been a silent reader and have tried a number of your recipes with much success! Among them is the kopitiam buns, curry fish head and today I made your klang bkt. My husband is from klang, so is my dad so I'm half klang too. So u can imagine my stress level preparing this esp when I have no idea about the Chinese herbs or even read them in their Chinese form!

Thankfully the ppl at the medicine shop were helpful. I'm in Singapore and we don't have Malaysian bkt here so when I saw your recipe I told myself I MUST MAKE THIS!

And I did tonight and my husband gave me his seal of approval. He even had seconds and ask for the leftovers to be reserved for him for dinner tomorrow. Thank you so much Sonia for sharing your recipes!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, finally I cooked this BKT. My family likes it. Your recipe was so well written, I just copied to share in my post. Hope you wouldn't mind. But I'll link it to your post. Do let me know if you are not in favour of this and I'll not publish it.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Can teach me how to u
roasted the garlic?

Huiqi

Master Hoong Bak Kut Teh said...

Hi, your review is very nice! Will it be fine if you can come to Master Hoong Bak Kut Teh and give us some review too?

Bali Tour said...

This is great article
Thank you for the recipe
i would like try to cook this food

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing. What is chuan Siong in Cantonese?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin