If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, December 20, 2013

Peach Tangyuan 仙桃汤圆 Glutinous rice balls (steamed method)

I just like to make something difference from the usual Tang yuan (glutinous rice balls) , this Tang Yuan shape it to look like a peach, filling is red bean paste, and using steaming method instead of cooking in the sweet soup. Anyway, it still tasted like normal Tang Yuan or I would say it close to muachi..Chinese people like Peach or 仙桃 as it means Longevity长寿 and Prosperity幸福.



 
 
 
 
My son said I shaped them look more like a Hong Pi Ku (red butt) than look like a peach, LOL !!
 
Peach Tangyuan 仙桃汤圆 Glutinous rice balls (steamed method)
*makes about 10pcs 
150g glutinous rice flour
1tsp caster sugar
100g hot boiling water
 
100g red bean paste
Red food colouring
Matcha powder
 
Toothpicks
Butter knife 
 
Method
1. Add glutinous rice flour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly pour in hot boiling water, use a wood spatula to mix well, then knead till a smooth dough.
3. Take two small dough, one add in red colour and another add in matcha powder.
4. Weight red bean paste 10g each, roll into ball. Take plain dough, weight 15g, roll into ball. Pinch a small pink dough, roll into ball.
5. Brush water on the plain dough, then place the small pink dough at the centre, flatten to become a disc, wrap in red bean ball, shape into ball.
6. Use the butter knife, imprint a line to look like peach shape. Roll two small pieces of green dough then flatten it to look like leaf. Brush water on the dough, stick green leaf on the centre of plain dough, use a toothpick to make the few lines to look like leaf pattern.
7. Place them on a steaming plate that wrapped with cling film. Steam for 10mins.
8. Remove from steamer, immediately brush with some oil to prevent it stick to each other. 
Recipe inspired from here, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover


I would like to take this opportunity to wish all a Happy Dongzhi Festival 冬至快乐 !!



44 comments:

AL Tan said...

The tangyuan look cute just like the Chinese New Year peach. Its a very refreshing idea on the tangyuan

小雨伞 said...

有创意!!
不会啦,第一眼看去是真的有寿桃的样子了~~ 很美

Mel said...

Wow....so creative and pretty tang yuan. Though it might take time to make this but it Sure to liven one's up when looking at this peach tang yuan. Happy "Dongzhi" festival to you and to your family

Esther Lau said...

很棒哦! Very creative and lovely tangyuan! I haven't eat tangyuan yet this year, may i have some?

Victoria Bakes said...

i couldn't believe my eyes! these are so delicate! i'm sure everyone in your family is bracing for the harsh "winter" as we all count down to the 九九.... 大家一起过冬至。。。大家一起吃个长寿!

Esther Lau said...

Wishing you and your family 冬至快乐!!!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Happy Dong Zhi to you n your family...

ann low said...

These tang yuan look very pretty!
Happy Dongzhi!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

好有创意的汤圆,颜色搭配也很好看。

这里也祝福你和家人,冬至快乐!

Casey said...

好漂亮的汤圆,祝你和家人冬至快乐!

Jozelyn Ng said...

Happy Dong Zhi Festival, Sonia!

Cat Chee said...

好有创意,好可爱哟~
冬至快乐!^^

Karen said...

很有创意的汤圆,好好看。祝福你和家人,冬至快乐!:)

Baby Sumo said...

LOL to your son's comment, but I think it's very pretty. Tonight we also just made tong yuen but just normal ball ones. My kids did all the job, I just cook it :)

Happy Dongzhi to u and yr family.

Baby Sumo said...

LOL to your son's comment, but I think it's very pretty. Tonight we also just made tong yuen but just normal ball ones. My kids did all the job, I just cook it :)

Happy Dongzhi to u and yr family.

Happy Flour said...

This week there are quite a few blogs making tang yuan. Sigh...this shown that one year is going to past and we are one year older again. I love your idea, steamed tang yuan. This is simply beautiful and yummy. ;p

Veronica said...

Happy Dongzhi Sonia. Your tang yuan look awesome. Looks more interesting than the traditional tang yuan.

Unknown said...

Very beautiful n creative tang yuan! Really good look of shou tao. Yummy yummy !

Yan said...

The only thing I can give you is a " Wow!"

婉婉午茶 said...

那仙桃的颜色搭配好漂亮,好喜欢!冬至快乐

Little Corner of Mine said...

Happy Dongzhi festival to you and family! For us, it's tomorrow and I am still debating on to make tang yuan or not. Yours look so pretty!

Unknown said...

Love your new creation of tangyuan. 东至快乐!

Lite Home Bake said...

Nice twist! Very creative, they look very pretty! Wishing you and your family happy dongzhi, blessed xmas and a happy new year!

0620 said...

汤圆好好玩hor
颠覆了传统模样 多了一份惊喜 :)

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day Sonia and HOW cute, true!
Thank you for allowing me today learning something new!
Wishing you and your family Happy Dongzhi!
Cheers! Joanne

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, as I told Cheah [No Frills], I can't deviate from the usual Tang Yuan like hers and yours cos' of my 'elder'. But this is a lovely variation. How I wish I can just get a piece, hehehe! Will keep this recipe for other occasion-lah.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, as I told Cheah [No Frills], I can't deviate from the usual Tang Yuan like hers and yours cos' of my 'elder'. But this is a lovely variation. How I wish I can just get a piece, hehehe! Will keep this recipe for other occasion-lah.

小食代 said...

还好明日才是冬至!今晚夜车回家!
作品还是一样Adorable!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

很特别的汤圆。。祝你冬至快乐!

Unknown said...

Wow this is so pretty and creative! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance.

Tracy Low said...

冬至快乐!

daphne said...

Happy dong zi! What fabulous looking tang yuen especially if it is peach shaped too. You always make have some great creative ideas.

lena said...

impressive! can also make this for the elderly's birthday! wishing you happy tong zhi too!

mettateoh said...

I made the peach tong yuan successfully following yr recipe. The only difference is I used lotus paste. Thank you for this great idea.

Unknown said...

Lovely peaches. Look very nice.

Rose world said...

Happy winter solstice!

PH said...

Hah! Hah! Your son is cute and funny as usual :D Love the peach shape!

Ana Regalado said...

Very creative , Sonia ! Love the shape of your tong yuen :D Red butt indeed lol

Happy winter solstice !

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

So beautifully done. How I wish I can do it also.

Nadji said...

Comme d'habitude une recette originale et très jolie.
J'aime beaucoup.
A bientôt

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, this is such an creative art work! happy winter solstice!

蚊子 said...

Happy Winter Solstice

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

Salute! Salute! I always admire your creativity and passion with your cooking and baking.

Happy Dong Zhi to you and your family... Merry Christmas and Happy 2014 too!

Zoe

My Little Space said...

Wow Sonia....I've been away too long already. Love your steamed tang yuan so much. Too pretty to eat. lol.
Happy 2014 to you & your family as well.
Blessings, Kristy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin