If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Braised Stewed Pork Ribs Meehoon (rice vermicelli) 红焼排骨米粉

My mom used to cook this version of traditional Hokkien braised stewed pork ribs meehoon (rice vermicelli)  when we were young. I love this simple and great taste of braised meehoon, by simply pour a canned of stewed pork ribs 红焼排骨 or pork belly (much oily than use pork ribs) into meehoon, don't need to add much seasonings.


hmh2 copy

 
Just realized that this type of canned pork ribs not cheap anymore...
hmh4

 
Separate out the gravy and meat..don't need much seasonings since the gravy itself already very flavourful..
hmh5

 
I like to enjoy this meehoon with a bowl of sweet soup, like this time we enjoyed with a bowl of boiled tapioca sweet soup.
hmh3 copy

The other day, I saw my bro Chef and Sommelier also" Hokkien lang" did cook a similar braised mee hoon but he used pork trotters.

Braised Stewed Pork Ribs Meehoon (rice vermicelli) 红焼排骨米粉
*serves 5
1 can of stewed pork ribs or pork belly

400g meehoon (rice vermicelli), soak till soften
150g mustard green, sliced
hmh1 copy 150g cabbage, sliced
50g carrot, shredded
3 shallots, sliced
3 garlic, chopped

Seasonings
1tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt or to taste
2tbsp dark caramel soy sauce

1 cup water

Method

  1. Separate the liquid and pork ribs from the can of stewed pork ribs.
  2. Heat 3tbsp cooking oil in a wok, sauté shallots and garlic till aroma.
  3. Add in liquid (from the can ) and water, add in mustard green, cabbage and carrot, bring to boil.
  4. Add in soaked meehoon and all seasonings, keep frying and stir well. Cover the wok with a lid and braised the meehoon for several minutes, toss the meehoon in between, do not let the gravy dry up (add hot water if necessary). Add in stewed pork ribs and mix well with meehoon, continue cook till slightly wet. Dish out and serve hot with porridge or sweet dessert soup (like sweet potato soup, red bean soup or etc).

Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

31 comments:

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

正在烦着晚餐, 闻到你家有香味传来。。
哇! 好吃的一道炒米粉, 奇怪我不吃猪肉的, 但是, 我却喜欢用红菇肉酱来炒米粉!

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Mmm。。。I must go and try this typical
Hokkien dish one day so that i qualified myself as Hokkien lang,he.......

0620 said...

哇,红烧排骨,香哦!!
配上炒米粉,好吃 ^^

Karen said...

看着你的炒米粉,肚子咕噜咕噜叫了,嘻嘻!用红烧排骨炒米粉我还不曾吃过呢,找天一定要试煮。

PH said...

Wah!!! Sonia, you make me hungry liao! Ya lah, quite expensive the canned pork. But now I want to buy and cook, cannot tahan hee..hee...

ann low said...

Sonia, I'm not Hokkien but my grandma also used to cook this when we were young. Really delicious!

Mel said...

I remember my brother-in-law used to fry this meehoon to us years back. Now that I seen your post just remind me it has been so long I didnt have this. Well, I can always make this myself now that I seen yours and so simple.

Esther Lau said...

This is very traditional fried mee hoon. Similar to my mum version. ..I miss it! ;)

Victoria Bakes said...

Yes! My mum used to fry this at home also,,, it's soo soo good. What a Forgotten goodness! I must try this

Unknown said...

great share & its yummy

Somewhere in Singapore said...

So long never eat homecook bee hoon liao, normally is buy from outside...

Rose world said...

I love this mihun dish. My mum also used to cook this and I can eat a lot. Haha.

Ana Regalado said...

I have yet to try that canned pork ribs , will check it our how much tomorrow :D Love the look of your meehon , very appetizing !

sohcool said...

Hey, are hokkiens all the same all over the world? OK. Malaysia and Singapore are neighbours. My mother made this for us when we were young. I totally forgot about this dish. Will make this for my children so that they know they are half hokkiens. And to add on, thanks to your tips about Rome. We went there and your posts on Rome was helpful.

Unknown said...

Using canned food in such dish is convenient. Sounds delicious!

ICook4Fun said...

My mom love frying beehoon with this too. I miss this. Too bad I can't get this can pork here. Might bring a few back when I go back home ;)

Small Kucing said...

so ngum...I just cooked this two weeks ago.. Yum...but mine i forgot..i went and add salt...a bit too salty LOL

Little Corner of Mine said...

Saw this at couple of different blogs, guess next time I must buy one canned of the braised pork ribs to give it a try!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and lovely looking pork rice.
Deepa

Angie's Recipes said...

This is the way my mom makes meehoon!! She even used the same brand of of ribs.

~~louise~~ said...

I don't remember ever seeing canned pork ribs in our stores here, Sonia.

I will be looking again though. This dish sounds amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Sonia...

Elaine said...

Good morning Ms Sonia,
Wow, this seems to be a very popular dish with the Hokkiens! I will definitely try this even though I am Cantonese. hahaha.
Have a great day

Simply June said...

Yums!! This is one of my favorite comfort char bee hoon!! Now I want some of the braised pork char bee hoon...and I can't get them here.. =(

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, looks like many 'Hokkien lang' prepare this noodle. My mum and MIL usually will prepare this especially on the eve of most festive occasion [need time to prepare ingredients for next day's prayers]. Easy and yummy. Me too prefer pork ribs for this beehoon.

Jozelyn Ng said...

My mum like to cook this as well when I was young! I can still remember the smell!

Shu Han said...

Sonia this is exactly how my mum fries beehoon too! With stewed pork! The flavour is amazing because there's so much 'ho liao' :) I am so happy to be back for christmas- can just ask my mum to mke this for me tmr hehehe. You've made me real hungry for it now!

Sokehah cheah said...

I've not eaten this canned pork ribs for a long,long time. It's indeed flavourful with the bihun!

lena said...

yeah, this can of pork stew is quite tasty..i used to cook this just with po choy ( spinach )

AL TAN said...

Sinfully delicious. We used to throw away the pork gravy because it was so oily, now we know there is an alternative use to the oil.

Unknown said...

Bee Hoon braised with stewed pork is the most delicious type of bee hoon ever.

mui mui said...

Ah Chi,
I saw something similar to this sometimes ago in Alvin's blog. He is using canned pork trotter.
Yours and his both looks so flavorful and delicious!
mui

Blog Widget by LinkWithin