Try to use this type of soft shell prawns called White prawns 白虾
I also recorded a video to show you how to fry this Chinese prawns fritter..
This prawn fritter is crispy while hot, if you prefer more crispy prawn fritter, then you have to make batter crepe thinner as possible..
Chinese Style Prawn Fritters 炸虾饼
Ingredients500g plain flour or all-purpose flour
20g Self-raising flour
10g corn flour
250g bean sprouts40g Chinese chives, chopped finely
1 large red onion, chopped finely
2tsp salt or to taste
White pepper powder
1/4tsp MSG or chicken stock powder, optional
300g fresh white prawns or soft shell prawns 白虾, remove the head but retain the tail
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl except prawns, mix well till no lumps.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok over medium low heat, put in a Chinese ladle into hot oil for several minutes.
- Remove ladle from the hot oil, scoop 1tbsp of batter, swirl the batter to make into thin crepe.
- Place 3 prawns on the batter, lower the ladle into hot oil, wait for 1-2mins, gently remove the fritter with a pair of chopstick, continue to fry until golden brown. Repeat the same steps until batter finished up.
- Drain on paper towel , serve hot with chili sauce.Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover