My Singapore kitchen said this is a best Mamak chicken, she adapted recipe from Pete. My kids love this curry very much especially Desmond who doesn't take too spicy curry, this mild curry just perfect for him. He make this order to me a least once in a week.
To serve with Yellow glutinous rice (steamed rice with turmeric), also a good choice!
Thanks to Pete for kind sharing this yummy recipe, this Mamak chicken curry can anytime compete with those selling in outside Mamak stalls. Simply delicious !! Yellow glutinous rice adapted from Flavours Food Magazine.
Mamak chicken curry with yellow glutinous rice(printable recipe)*serve 6
Yellow glutinous rice
500g glutinous rice
1tbsp turmeric powder
1 pc tamarind peel (asam keping)
1tsp salt or to taste
250ml coconut milk
1. Soak rice in just enough water to cover, along with turmeric powder and tamarind peel for 4hours.
2. Drain and rinse once.
3. Steam the rice over high heat for about 30mins (without adding water).
4. Stir salt till dissolved in coconut water, and add to the just cooked rice, mix and stir well.
5. Steam the rice again over high heat for another 10mins.
Mamak Chicken Curry
½ bird of chicken, cut into bite size
1 and ½ cup coconut milk
2 and ½ tbsp curry powder (meat type)
1tbsp coriander powder (serbuk ketumbar)
1tsp red chili powder
1pc Star anise
5pcs Cardamom (buah pelage)
2 large onions
3 cloves garlic
3 sprigs curry leaves
2 potatoes, cut into bite size
1 and ½ tsp salt or to taste
3tbsp of cooking oil
1 cup water
1. Combine curry powder,chili powder and coriander powder with little water to form a paste, set aside.
2. Blend onion, lemongrass, garlic and ginger with little water to form a paste, set aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok, add blended onion paste, stir fry till nice aroma.
4. Add in star anise, cardamom, cinnamon, clove and curry leaves, continue stir fry till fragrant.
5. Add in curry and coriander paste, pour in coconut water and water, bring to boil.
6. Put in chicken pieces and potato, stir to mix well, cook about 30mins or till chicken is cooked.
7. Seasoning with salt and sugar.
8. Dish out, serve with yellow glutinous rice, or steamed rice, or chapatti.
I going to submit this post to 3hungrytummies "Muhibbah Malaysia Monday"..
Happy Cooking !!