Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
This recipe was made reference to 3 hungry tummies and on a Bento frenzy, with minor changes.
Homemade Dashi (Japanese soup stock)
20g of Dashi kombu (kelp), wipe with a wet cloth, do not wash
10 gm Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
1. Soak kombu in clean water for 30mins, the kombu will double up in size.
2. Bring water and soaked kombu to an almost boil (Do not boil kombu in the water because it will give a bitter or awkward taste).
3. Once the water has almost come to a boil, turn off the heat, remove kombu.
4. Add dried bonito flakes into the stock and allow steep for 10mins.
5. Strain broth and it is ready for use.
Happy Cooking !!