Recipe was adapted from Pig Pig's corner with minor changes.
Chicken Katsu Don
2 chicken legs – deboned
1tsp light soy sauce
plain flour - enough for coating chicken
1 egg - lightly beaten
breadcrumbs - enough for coating chicken
oil for deep frying
1 large onion - sliced
1 stalk spring onions - sliced, save some for garnish
1 cup dashi (I use homemade dashi)
3 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
3 tbsp Mirin
2 tbsp Sake
2 eggs, very lightly stir
Cooked Japanese rice
Fresh Shiitake mushrooms -optional
1. Marinate chicken with salt, soy sauce, pepper and sesame oil. Leave for about 30mins.
2. One by one, dip chicken in plain flour, next coat chicken in beaten eggs, then transfer to breadcrumbs and coat thoroughly.
3. Deep fry breaded chicken until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
4. Heat up a bit of oil in another pan, add onions and fry until soft and translucent.
5. Add in dashi, seasoning with soy sauce, mirin and sake, bring to boil.
6. Add in spring onions, mushroom and pumpkin, cook till soft.
7. Add beaten eggs, turn off the heat and cover the pan, leave the eggs to cook in the residual heat for about few minutes.
8. Pour egg mixture on top of rice, cut chicken into strips, place chicken strips on top of egg mixture.
9. Garnish with some spring onion, Enjoy!
Happy Cooking !!