If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits

Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits

This morning, I have been busy making this lady fingers/savoiardi biscuits.



Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits


The 1st attempt was failed, the batter is runny and resulted a flat and wide ladyfingers. I suspected i did not beat the egg white well.

Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits



I did not give up, wash all the bowls and mixer again, try 2nd attempt. Yahoo ! I got a perfect lady fingers this time, crispy on the outside and spongy inside.

Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits


Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits



Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits
Recipe source: adapted from dailydelicious which she adapted from Cordon Bleu At Home book, with minor changes)
*makes appx 45 small 2”-3” long ladyfingers

Ingredients
3 egg yolks (meidum), lightly beaten

90g cake flour

3 egg whites
75g caster sugar
1tbsp cornstarch (not in original recipe)

50g icing sugar, for dusting

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180c, line non-stick parchment paper in baking pan
2. Beat the egg white until foamy, gradually add sugar and cornstarch , continue beating until the egg whites become stiff peaks form, glossy and smooth.
3. Fold in egg yolks and lightly mix with egg white mixture with a spatula.
4. Sift the flour over this mixture and fold gently until just mixed.
5. Fit a pastry bag with a 1cm plain tip (or just snip the end off, this is what I did) and fill with the batter. Pipe the batter into long strips and leaving about 1" space in between the strips.
6. Sprinkle half the confectioner's sugar over the ladyfingers and wait for 5 minutes. The sugar will pearl or look wet and glisten. Now sprinkle the remaining sugar.
7. Bake the ladyfingers for 10mins-13mins or turn light golden brown.
8. Allow them to cool slightly on the sheets for about 5 minutes and then remove the ladyfingers from the baking sheet with a metal spatula while still hot, and cool on a rack.
9. Store them in an airtight container till required. They should keep for 2 to 3 weeks.

Important notes
1. It is important to fold egg white mixture very gently and not overdo the folding. Otherwise the batter would deflate and lose volume resulting in ladyfingers which are flat and not spongy.
2. Sprinkle sugar for two times as to helps to give the ladyfingers their characteristic crispness.


Store in an airtight container till required....

Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits



By now, I am sure you already know what am I going to make the next, hehehe, yes, I going to make Tiramisu  !!

Lady fingers / savoiardi biscuits


Happy Baking !!

28 comments:

Frena - CQ said...

Yummm!! Looking at the pics of your lady fingers makes me hungry now =D. They look so perfect, and of course will taste great in Tiramisu! I hope one day i'll get over my fear of beating eggwhites and try to make these lady fingers soon. Good job! =)

hani said...

wow...lady fingers...i like..i'm waiting your tiramisu coming up then...hehhehee

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个我都买外面的,好难吃,你的看起来很棒:P

My Little Space said...

Sonia, thanks for posting this. I have tried it once but failed too. I love the second look of them. Perfect! Now, I know where gone wrong! I think the coming up post will be tiramisu! haha... Have a grea day.
Cheers, Kristy

Diane said...

I would really like to try this. It is good for us that you had a failure as it makes it easier for us not to make the same mistake ;-) Thanks so much for sharing. Diane

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Sonia...BEAUTIFUL! I actually don't mind eating your first failed batch (it actually looks crispy and yummy with nice golden color). I'm so amazed at your full cooking talent...I will end up eating one lady finger every time I go to the kitchen. It's impossible to "store" it for more than a day. ENVIOUS! ;-)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Your ladyfinger biscuits are just gorgeous! You did so well with them-they look loads better than bought ones :)

pigpigscorner said...

wow, they look perfect! I always buy ready-made ones for tiramisu, lazy me!

苏联妈妈 said...

Sonia, so ur nx baking item will be tiramisu ? Looking fwd~~~

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Nicely done Sonia! Looking forward to your tiramisu!! ;))

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Good for you that you got it in your second attempt. These will be perfect for your tiramisu! I am sure the first batch tasted just as good even though the shape wasn't what you were expecting.

Shaz (feedingmykidsbetter) said...

Looks really nice! Thanks for sharing this simple recipe :)

Min said...

Sonia, good job! I would like to try baking this also next time, looks so tempting. Waiting for your tiramisu ya :)

Pete said...

This lady finger eat with hot milo, nice leh!

Coraine said...

Whoah such nice lady fingers! Can make tiramisu soon!?!?!?!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great, looking forward to your Tiramisu!

ChrisAu said...

I was curious with your blog address- nasi lemak lover and decided to pay a visit. Then, you are making ladyfingers biscuits here!! I love ladyfingers in yong tau foo style!
Nice blog here and will visit u again. :)

terri@adailyobsession said...

wow the fingers look great! thanks thanks thanks for taking the trouble to make them n tell us about it:) i am excited bc store-bought ladies' fingers usually have a stale flavor.

Jeannie said...

Home made lady fingers how cool is that? I would just buy from the bakers store:P Looking forward to drool over your tiramisu:)

Bo said...

Awesome...I just buy them already made...one day I might get brave and try making some myself!

j3ss kitch3n said...

such beautiful lady fingers!

Yummy Bakes said...

Well done, Sonia. They are quite uniform in shapes. I am too lazy - always buy them from the shelves.

Pushpa said...

They look perfect,tiramisu is my fav all time dessert.

Blessed Homemaker said...

I's want to make my own lady fingers but too lazy and end up using store bought. I'm so tempted to make some now! But too busy lately, have not been baking and cooking. One day, I'm sure, I will attempt this!

Yours look good!!

Sook said...

Wow, homemade lady fingers! YUM!

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Wow Sonia! That looks amazing ... very perfectly baked!

Anonymous said...

hi! i made this just now but end result is so soft. is it like that or suppose to be like store bought?

moutushi said...

In India it is really difficult to find Lady Finger. Thank you so much for this perfect recipe. Made them yesterday to make Tiramisu. Guests are raving about it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin