Nowadays, before my kids birthday, I will check with them what type of cake they want, no more buying from outside bakery shop. My little son Desmond requested a chocolate cake this time, a lot of cream and decorate with a lot of chocolate rice and colourful beads ( with a condition, he is the one who will decorate this !!).
Less headache this time, i baked a cocoa sponge cake, slice into two, apply blueberries filling and fresh cream on the layer and sides. I let him to decorate the rest !!
Everyone in the family love this simple cocoa sponge cake..This time i did not use the basic cocoa sponge cake that i use to bake, instead I created a sponge cake using chiffon method by separate the eggs as I prefer a moist and fluffy cake for Birthday cake and still maintain moist when keep in refrigerator 1-2 days..
Basic cocoa sponge cake
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
4 egg yolks
40g corn oil
65g cake flour
2tbsp cocoa powder
4 eggs white
1. Line the base and side with parchment paper.
2. Whisk egg yolk and sugar till creamy
3. Add in milk and corn oil, mix well
4. Sift in cake flour and cocoa powder, combine well, set aside
5. Beat egg white till foamy, gradually add in sugar, continue beat till soft peaks form.
6. Use a hand whisk, stir 1/3 egg white mixture with egg yolk batter, till light. Fold the rest of the egg white mixture using a spatula.
7. Pour egg batter in a 7” cake pan, bake at pre-heated oven at 170c for 40mins.
8. Remove cake from the cake pan, and cooling the sponge cake in a plastic bag as to helps it to retain its moisture.
** i use a new cake pan this time, a removable base heart shape cake pan.
Dear my son Desmond, mommy and daddy hope you stay healthy and happy forever !