I wanted to try out this famous Chinese dish long time till I saw this recipe in a TV cooking show recently. I immediately try out as I'm curious how it would tasted.
Wikipedia explained-Ants Climbing a Tree 螞蟻上樹, also known as Ants Climb Tree or Ants Climbing Up a Tree, etc., is a classic Sichuan dish in Chinese cuisine. It consists of ground meat cooked in a sauce and poured over bean thread noodles. It is so called because the bits of ground meat clinging to the noodles evoke an image of ants walking on twigs.
If you prefer something plain and simple, you can try this. I don't think i have 2nd chance to cook this again as my family dont' quite like this noodles. We still prefer those stir fried glass noodles served in restaurant here, more to Malaysian style which is full of "wok hei" and with more ingredients, something similar to My Kitchen Snippet's version here.
Anyway, at least i know how this famous Chinese dish taste like..
Stir fried glass noodles with minced meat
Ants climbing up a tree 螞蟻上樹
250g glass noodles, cut half and soak to soften, drain dry
200g minced meat
4 stalks spring onion, chopped
2 tsp chopped ginger
1tsp chopped garlic
1tsp Szechuan Peppercorns
1 red chili, shredded
3tbsp cooking oil
2tbsp spicy soy bean paste
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp sugar or to taste
1 cup chicken stock ( I use homemade chicken stock) or water
1. Add cooking oil, 1tsp ginger, Szechuan Peppercorns and 1stp chopped spring onion in a wok/pan, turn on heat, sauté till fragrant. Discard the fried spices and retain the cooked oil.
2. In the same wok/pan, add in minced meat, stir to cook.
3. Add 1tsp garlic, 1tsp ginger, some chopped spring onion, spicy bean paste, and combine well.
4. Pour in stock, add in glass noodles once stock is boiled.
5. Stir fry till glass noodles absorb all liquids, add in chopped spring onion, dish out.
6. Garnish with chili shredded, serve hot.
Happy Cooking !!