If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, May 9, 2011

Ants climbing up a tree 螞蟻上樹

Ants climbing a tree 螞蟻上樹


I wanted to try out this famous Chinese dish long time till I saw this recipe in a TV cooking show recently. I immediately try out as I'm curious how it would tasted.





















Wikipedia explained-Ants Climbing a Tree 螞蟻上樹, also known as Ants Climb Tree or Ants Climbing Up a Tree, etc., is a classic Sichuan dish in Chinese cuisine. It consists of ground meat cooked in a sauce and poured over bean thread noodles. It is so called because the bits of ground meat clinging to the noodles evoke an image of ants walking on twigs.


Ants climbing a tree 螞蟻上樹


Ants climbing a tree 螞蟻上樹



If you prefer something plain and simple, you can try this. I don't think i have 2nd chance to cook this again as my family dont' quite like this noodles. We still prefer those stir fried glass noodles served in restaurant here, more to Malaysian style which is full of "wok hei" and with more ingredients, something similar to My Kitchen Snippet's version here.
Anyway, at least i know how this famous Chinese dish taste like..



Stir fried glass noodles with minced meat
Ants climbing up a tree 螞蟻上樹

250g glass noodles, cut half and soak to soften, drain dry
200g minced meat

4 stalks spring onion, chopped
2 tsp chopped ginger
1tsp chopped garlic
1tsp Szechuan Peppercorns
1 red chili, shredded

3tbsp cooking oil
2tbsp spicy soy bean paste
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp sugar or to taste
1 cup chicken stock ( I use homemade chicken stock) or water

Method
1. Add cooking oil, 1tsp ginger, Szechuan Peppercorns and 1stp chopped spring onion in a wok/pan, turn on heat, sauté till fragrant. Discard the fried spices and retain the cooked oil.
2. In the same wok/pan, add in minced meat, stir to cook.
3. Add 1tsp garlic, 1tsp ginger, some chopped spring onion, spicy bean paste, and combine well.
4. Pour in stock, add in glass noodles once stock is boiled.
5. Stir fry till glass noodles absorb all liquids, add in chopped spring onion, dish out.
6. Garnish with chili shredded, serve hot.

Ants climbing a tree 螞蟻上樹



Happy Cooking !!



31 comments:

Unknown said...

哈哈哈,so special !螞蟻上樹??Ant can eat meh?its a : [Stir fried glass noodles with minced meat ]...really looks like 螞蟻上樹

Three-Cookies said...

Very interesting name, not sure if people will get excited with the name though. I heard that eating ants are good for your eyes?:)

WendyinKK said...

Oh... sometimes traditional versions are different from what we eat here. Just like nian gao in China is different than nian gao here.
The version that I know is somehow different.
It's glass noodles stir fried with eggs and minced meat, which consist of "wok hei".
Just like "Gwai Fah Chow Darn (osmnathus scrambled eggs)" The ori version is very different than what we are used to eating here.
Maybe you can make your own version of this. I'm sure it'll be delicious.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个听闻很久了,就是没吃过:P

cikmanggis said...

satu menu yang baru ni.boleh try:)selamat hari ibu my dear Sonia:)

Federica Simoni said...

che bella ricetta! complimenti!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

This is so tempting!!!

Zurin said...

Yes it does look like ants :) this is a nice dish. Simple and healthy .

lena said...

hi sonia, the name of the dish is really amusing!i quite like the asian style of stir fried glass noodles like you mentioned and this method cooking is also quite similiar to the claypot glass noodles with crab which i love but too bad i dont know how to cook that!

divya said...

looks delicious and yummy... Happy Mother's Day!

ann low said...

I've not eat this for a long time. That's for reminding and sharing :)

Jeannie said...

I salivate everytime I see a noodles dish in blogs! This looks delicious!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I think I've heard of this name before but never related the name to this dish, because glass noodles stir fried with mince pork can be eaten in several restaurants but named differently. Looks like a simple yet delicious lunch to fry up for the family. Thanks for sharing this, I love glass noodles!

Anonymous said...

hi sonia,just happened to read one of your last year's post about the new KA that your hubby bought from singapore for you.please can you share with me the details,where to buy it in spore,price and any tax by customs.my email helenwongyh@gmail.com.thanks n keep on posting those yummy treats.

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Happy belated mother's day!

I always heard about this dish in Taiwan and china food program but have yet to try it.

Cheah said...

The name sounds familiar. I like fried glass noodles but sometimes find it hard to digest.

Bo said...

This is a dish I have always wanted to try too...I love spicy Szechuan food!

Anonymous said...

ants climbing up a tree? what a interesting name. When I first saw the tittle I didn't expect to myself that I would be reading a recipe. ahahhaa. anyway this dish look light and healthy. suitable for the hot weather this days.

Little Corner of Mine said...

I liked the name 螞蟻上樹 too, but prefer it M'sian style, more flavor. :)

My Little Space said...

Ya, I've heard of it long time ago but never bother to find out what is all about! ha... Quite interesting though. I like stir fried glass noodle but preferably with dark soy sauce, just like our local stir fried with lots of spring onion, beansprouts and chilies. Aiyo, I am definitely 100% M'sian! haha....
Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a lovely day.
Blessings, Kristy
p/s Happy Belated Mother's day to you, Sonia.

Yummy Bakes said...

Oh ... what a name but the dish looks very tasty and good.

Jane Chew said...

I always heard about this but have yet to try it. Looks nice :)

Zoe said...

Very interesting dish with an interesting name and look delicious too.

sean said...

我中学的烹饪课老师有教这道菜(冬粉)。
很不赖的。

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

I like the name "Ants climbing up a tree" and the recipe is awesome!

Jo said...

Sonia, you really got me with the title. I was expecting a picture of real ants. Haha, certainly got my attention for sure. The glass noodle dish looks yummy and I love tanghoon cause it really soaks up the flavour from the gravy.

gertrude said...

What an interesting name for a noodle dish. When I saw the title I too thought you will be showing us ants climbing up the tree ha ha..

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Sonia! What an interesting name! We cook something similar (probably Chinese influence) in Japanese home cooking too...Yours seem very light and simple whereas typical Japanese has soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and Dashi in it (you know very typical taste...). Your picture looks very nice. I have hard time taking pictures of brown simple food, so I'm very impressed by your pictures!

Janine said...

I never knew this dish was called this! But then again I don't know the names of many dishes. Although it doesnt have wok hei (which I LOVE), it looks really healthy and simple to make - am definitely trying this one day!

Chowringhee said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I look forward to trying it out...
Restaurant in South Campus

Chowringhee said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I look forward to trying it out...
Restaurant in South Campus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin