I like to order grilled Saba/mackerel when we take dinner at Sumi-ka Japanese restaurant which they serve very good charcoal grilled yakitori. As usual, when my family love something, i will try to imitate and cook it at home.
I bought this frozen Norwegian blue mackerel filles from Jusco, try to cut X into the skin of mackerel so it doesn’t shrink when it hits the heat.
Do not over cook the mackerel, so you can enjoy the juicy fish meat with sprinkle of lemon juices, dip with grated daikon and Japanese light soy saauce.
Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
2pcs (350g) Mackerel fillets
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Japanese soy sauce
1. Cut X into the skin of mackerel so it doesn’t shrink when it hits the heat.
2. Sprinkle sea salt on mackerel and let it sit aside for 30mins.
3. Wipe off any excess moisture on the fish.
4. Heat up a non-stick pan over medium low flame, add the mackerel, skin side down.
5. Cover and sear for 2-3mins for each side, do not overcook.
6. Sprinkle lemon juices and serve with a clump of grated daikon with few drops of soy sauce.
Happy Cooking !!