If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, May 23, 2011

Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel

Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel

I like to order grilled Saba/mackerel when we take dinner at Sumi-ka Japanese restaurant which they serve very good charcoal grilled yakitori. As usual, when my family love something, i will try to imitate and cook it at home.



Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel


I bought this frozen Norwegian blue mackerel filles from Jusco, try to cut X into the skin of mackerel so it doesn’t shrink when it hits the heat.

Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel



Do not over cook the mackerel, so you can enjoy the juicy fish meat with sprinkle of lemon juices, dip with grated daikon and Japanese light soy saauce.

Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel



Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*serves 3-4

2pcs (350g) Mackerel fillets
Sea salt
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Daikon, grated
Japanese soy sauce

Method
1. Cut X into the skin of mackerel so it doesn’t shrink when it hits the heat.
2. Sprinkle sea salt on mackerel and let it sit aside for 30mins.
3. Wipe off any excess moisture on the fish.
4. Heat up a non-stick pan over medium low flame, add the mackerel, skin side down.
5. Cover and sear for 2-3mins for each side, do not overcook.
6. Sprinkle lemon juices and serve with a clump of grated daikon with few drops of soy sauce.

Japanese Grilled Saba/Mackerel



Happy Cooking !!

34 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个颜色的碗很和式呢,就一整个很搭就对了:)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

This is one of my favourite dish while I studied in Japan. This fish is good cook in fish curry as well.

cikmanggis said...

nampak sunguh enak sekali.Satu menu yang sangat sihat.

yummylittlecooks said...

This is so delicious,we also never fail to order when we dine at Japanese Restaurant.

Coraine said...

WHoah thanks for the advice for cutting X !!! And the fish is really wonderful...i love saba to the max!!

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious! The ones at the Japanese restaurants are very expensive, a good idea to cook it at home!

Diane said...

We love Mackerel so this will be a nice change. Diane

Jhonny walker said...

HI

This is a MUST MUST MUST MUST make...awesome..

Somewhere in Singapore said...

This is my favourite...

aipi said...

What a great authentic dish ~ perfectly done n presented!
US Masala

WendyinKK said...

I buy the same fish from Jusco and grill it in the oven at home. It's so much cheaper than eating it at the Jap restaurant.

Victoria said...

I love recreating my favorite dishes from restaurants. Great work here, I hope your family enjoyed it :)

chow and chatter said...

love this recipe adore fish and Japanese food

Pete said...

Ikan Bakar Jepun.....can eat with sambal belacan also....LOL!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Lovely! This is one of my mum's favourite must order dish when having Japan food. With your quick and easy recipe now I can teach her how to cook this at home :) Thanks

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Love your photos Sonia! I think even those that doesn't like fish will be emptied to try it, yum! Thanks for the recipe! You know I've been using your teriyaki salmon many times now and my kids loved it. 

Zoe said...

Very professional cooked and presented...just like those serve in the higher end Japanese restaurants!

Christina Kim said...

Oooh, I love grilled saba and also salmon too:D
The best part about Jap food is the variety of seafood and fish:) Yours can beat those in the restaurants anytime too...ever thought of starting your own Japanese restaurant?:p

Cheah said...

Thanks, Sonia for sharing this. This is a must have when we have Japanese food. So much cheaper if it's done at home!

Victor said...

I love grilled mackerel. Every time I go to a Japanese restaurant, this is the first appetizer that I would order.

Angie Tee said...

This is one of my favorite dishes that I would always order at the Japanese restaurant. Delish!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Sonia! It's interesting to read everyone's comment. Everyone seems to like this dish and order at a Japanese restaurant but we can cook it so easily at home. Maybe most people don't want to grill fish at home? I just don't prefer to pay over price for such a simple dish. I use an oven toaster to cook fish, and it works perfectly (and no need to wash frying pan!). I love coming here Sonia! :-)

My Little Space said...

The fish looks really nice to be cooked in this way and healthy too. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a lovely evening.
Cheers, Kristy

Unknown said...

its so delicious!i like it:)

ann low said...

My family loves grilled fish and this is one of them...very nicely done and perfect clicks :)

tigerfish said...

I usually like to order this when dining in Japanese restaurant.

Min said...

I love to order grill fish in Japanese restaurant, but most of the time I will choose salmon to saba. I tried saba before, but got a lot of bones...

choi yen said...

Tell me what else u can't imitate? *salute*

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I think we all love to create what we've enjoyed. The grilled Saba looks delicious!

Shu Han said...

i was just looking for this!! just got a fresh mackerel today and wanted to do saba! yayyyy

daphne said...

wow! U even have the daikon! I'm a fan of this dish and happy to know that it can be re-created at home. That's the fun of eating out! thinking how to make the same at home LOL

Rosita Vargas said...

me gusta mucho el pescado caballa,es muy delicioso,tu receta es excelente,cariños y abrazos.

温馨小屋 said...

看起来好好吃哦!肚子饿了,可以去你家吃饭吗? 哈哈!

Anonymous said...

my kids fav! I luv to pour teriyaki sauce over them & ate w/ plain porridge .. comfort food :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin