If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chicken Adobo

Chicken Adobo

I prepared this Chicken Adobo dish (a famous Filipino recipe)for my kids last weekend when my hubby and I got invited to a dinner by our previous boss who we did not see him for almost 10 years. This was my 1st time cooked a Filipino dish, and this dish was inspired by a blogger who I just recently discovered, Nami (Just One Cookbook). I love her blog which she share quick and easy Japanese Home cooking recipes and also love her step-by-step directions (this is definitely not an easy task for a blogger).








Chicken Adobo


This recipe just came at the right time as I have a bottle of apple cider vinegar sitting in the pantry but don't know what to do with it.

Chicken Adobo


Chicken Adobo


I decided to adjust the taste by adding sugar after I tasted the sauce which is just sour and salty(very similar to Worcestershire sauce), because my kids prefer slightly sweet sauce. Also I added 1 Bay leaf when thicken the sauce. My kids love this chicken dish, each of them taken 2 pieces...nothing left for me when i returned home from dinner, hehehe..

Thanks to Nami for kind sharing and i going to try out more her recipes soon.

Chicken Adobo
(recipe source: adapted from Just One Cookbook)

5 chicken thighs & drumsticks with bone and skin, sauce will be enough for up to 8 pieces.

Sauce
1 cup water
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper

2tsp sugar, optional (not in original recipe)
1 Bay leaf, torn, optional (not in original recipe)

Method
1. Rinse the chicken with water and pat dried with paper towel. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a large pot. Make sure the pot is big enough so the chicken will not overlap each other.
2. Bring the sauce to a boil on medium high heat.
3. Add the chicken and reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and cook 30 minutes. Turn the chicken once 15 minute through.
4. Transfer the chicken onto a baking pan with wire rack (so the oil will drip down) and bake at preheated oven at 200c for 10mins or until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile turn up the stove to high and reduce the sauce until it thickens, add sugar and Bay leaf. Make sure it doesn’t burn when the sauce is boiling.
6. Serve the chicken on a plate and pour the sauce over. Keep the extra sauce in a small bowl so you can adjust the taste based on preference.


Chicken Adobo


Ya, just like to share this photo with you. My hubby requested the contractor who doing furniture for my house to do this special rack for me. So I can plant with many herbs in my backyard and a better way to organize the plants. You can see I have planted some curry leaves, spring onion, basil, mint, turmeric leaves, and Ramie leaves, and more to come.

my herbs garden

Happy Cooking !!



40 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

种了那么多绿意盎然的植物哦,我很喜欢:)
这个鸡,等我买了苹果醋就煮:P

kadirecipes said...

Wow it looks wonderful. The pictures are so nice and I am sure that the food was nicer.
I will definitely try this chicken recipe.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.
Take care.

Delicious African dishes

Unknown said...

i have cooked chicken like this before but with chicken thighs. its so yummmy! i use organic apple cider vinegar

kimberlycun said...

lovely chicken dish. i envy your fresh spice rack!!!

Reanaclaire said...

This dish reminded me of what I did two days ago.. but I am sure yours taste much better.. even the name is cute.. adobo.. :)

Min said...

Sonia, I love those herbs in your garden, I only have curry and basil leaves only :) Hope to plant more. I can try this dish next time, have one big bottle of apple vinegar at home because I use to drink 2tsp of it every morning, good for health :)

Jeannie said...

Your herbs look so healthy...I recently bought a pot of mint but it is now wilting in my kitchen:P goes to show, I don't have any green fingers lol! The chicken adobo looks delicious!

daphne said...

Yum!! I love chicken adobo. It's the tangy taste that makes it so nice! I havent made this dish before though so it is tempting me to try.now to sneak apple cider into my shopping basket.. LOL

ICook4Fun said...

My brother Filipino helper used to prepared this dish for us and they were really good. It taste even better the next day. It has been a long time since I last had this. I should cook this one day since I still have some apple cider vinegar in my pantry.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Oh Gosh! I am hungry again at this hour after staring at the 1st photo! I am bet they taste even better than they look :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow, envy envy on your cool plant rack! Wish I have the space luxury to have it...who am I kidding, I'm in Spore and not filthy rich, lol! Oh yum, this chicken dish sure looks inviting! Ok, got to get apple cider... I love salty,, sweet and tangy!

j3ss kitch3n said...

drooling licious chicken!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I like the addition of sugar as I like it slightly sweet too. Looks delicious!

VineelaSiva said...

Wow the chicken makes me hungry.Love ur backyard garden.

Federica Simoni said...

davvero una delizia!complimenti!

tigerfish said...

You reminded me of Nami's Chicken Adobo....but I don't have the right vinegar at the moment.

divya said...

Slurp,mouthwatering here..

cikmanggis said...

satu resepi yg unik.Selama ini Cm hanya guna cuka apple cyder untuk diminum dgn honey.kali ini boleh masak dengan ayam pulak...pstt Cm suka sangat rak untuk letak pasu tu:)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Sonia!!! I'm so happy you tried this recipe! Thank you for linking to my website too. My husband just told me (he's always checking background) I get a lot of traffic from you, so I came and found your chicken adobo! Yours look 100 times better! YUM! I know, when we cook this, nothing is left. I'm glad your kids enjoyed this dish. :-) Thank you so much again!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

The chicken looks delicious! Nice rack for your potted herbs.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

looks good, gonna get apple cider vinegar... Gonna try it out one of the day...

J.O said...

Adobo很特别的名字
看样子就知道好吃

这里也祝你母亲节快乐^^

cherry potato said...

如果用红酒醋可以吗?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sonia, the chicken look so yummy, really.
I love to plant the herbs plants too, but my rosemary, thymes and oregano (which i bought from Cameron Highland) all died , only left with the peppermints. Maybe the weather is too hot in KL here.
Sem

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sem, ya, these Western herbs can not tahan hot..maybe i should try to plant these in my internal courtyard which is not much expose to direct sunlight.

VegeCooking Club said...

The chicken looks SO good and I love your new rack.

Steve said...

looks fantastic - will definitely try this one out!!

Anonymous said...

Sonia, yeah, now i concentrated on local herbs like curry leaves, basil leaves, peppermint, and you should not leave the rosemary and thymes in the sunlight, better under the shades.
I have just started now on mulberries plant too, which yields mulberries easily(i saw my sis-in-law's one loaded with mulberries).Wish me luck.
Sem

Cozinhando com Amigos said...

Hi, dear! Nice dish...So, I'm a new follower of you. Kisses from Brazil!

A Blissful Life said...

This is a typical way to cook chicken adobo, and yes, you can always add a bit of sugar. My family also adds bayleaf and I usually experiment with different types of vinegar. Happy cooking!

niceyfemme said...

First of all, there are countless ways to cook adobo. It can be all chicken or a mix of chicken and pork belly or with chicken liver which I like.

I have a few more tips for a better tasting adobo. Add lots of black peppercorns and a few freshly cracked ones. Lots of garlic too. And the longer it sits, the better tasting it gets. Reheat and reheat. We even put potatoes in it. Surely a million ways to do it. Sugar and fish sauce makes it extra yummy too.

Btw, apple cider vinegar is not really the vinegar to use for adobo as the sourness is different. if you want to try the more authentic cane vinegar, just drop by at Lucky Plaza if you are in SG. Sorry I don't know yet but I'll be back as I'm a nasi lemak lover as well. Been craving for it like crazy.

Stephanie said...

aww.. your husband is so sweet~
hehe..this is going to be easy to make for me. My place don't sell much spices (poor me) :(

Gingham Girl said...

Being Filipino, I never tried it with apple cider vinegar. Traditionally, we use coco palm vinegar. Also, instead of baking, we fry the chicken. But baking is a healthier option. Will try it next time. I love adobo with chicken breast, bone in.

Lite Home Bake said...

Hi Sonia,
Just wanted to let you know that I tried out this recipe for dinner last night. It was delish! The whole family loved it! However, I substituted apple cider with Hawthorn Vinegar.

Thank you

Janetan said...

hi sonia,
thanks for sharing this recipe..i have never imagine i could make this dish one day until just now i decided to give it a try..oh my god, it taste fabulous!! going to cook this again and again..

MSLee said...

Sonia,
I just bought a pot of rosemary but it is not doing well. Any idea why it is wilting?

Meng See

gghie said...

Love chicken Adobo! The best!
Next time try using coconut vinegar.
Glad I found your blog. I'm your newest follower. Come visit me at the www.theredapronscravings.com

gghie

Unknown said...

Hi there,
The chicken looks yummy..eanna cook it for my son,but not sure abt the amount of water use..as what u mention it's 1 cup...can u pls advise me hw mch is 1 cup?...tia

Unknown said...

Hi there,
The chicken looks yummy..eanna cook it for my son,but not sure abt the amount of water use..as what u mention it's 1 cup...can u pls advise me hw mch is 1 cup?...tia

Unknown said...

Hi there,
The chicken looks yummy..eanna cook it for my son,but not sure abt the amount of water use..as what u mention it's 1 cup...can u pls advise me hw mch is 1 cup?...tia

Blog Widget by LinkWithin