If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, June 22, 2009

Nyonya Chang (dumpling)

This was my last weekend big project. I have been planning to prepare this Nyonya dumpling since a month ago, but couldn't start it because I couldn't find the Butterfly Pea Flower (Bunga Telang) which is the most important ingredients for Nyonya dumpling. I'm respect to the original recipe, so I didn't want to substitute it with the artificial blue colouring
I prefer this Nyonya Chang than the normal Hokkian Bak Chang, because this chang is not so oily and I like the aromatic from the spices, and also like the little sweetness from the candied winter melon.

Read this link if you are curious about the Baba Nyonya's background... http://www.mysinchew.com/node/21625




- I managed to find this blue flower from a nearby housing area (curi-curi pluck)



-Blue colour juices extracted from the flower



-Ingredients of the Nyonya dumpling



-Ready to wrap


- steps to wrap dumplings



- ready to cook




- Since this was my first time to wrap dumpling, I still can not get the perfect shape, need to try few more times.


Recipe to share

Makes about 20 dumplings (medium size)

650g glutinous rice, soaked overnight
Blue colouring (extracted from butterfly pea flower (bunga telang)

Filling
500g pork ( cut into small cubes)
50g dried prawn, soaked and chopped coarsely
10 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and cubed
85g candied winter melon, chopped coarsely
5tbsp coriander powder (ketumbar) , add water make to paste
2tbsp preserved bean paste (tau cheow)
2 garlic and 4 shallots, chopped
1/2 cup of cooking oil
1tsp of dark soy sauce
1tsp of pepper
3tbsp of sugar, or to taste
2tsp of salt, or to taste

pandan leaf, cut into small pieces
dried bamboo leaves, washed and soaked overnight
string for tying
2tbsp salt

Steps:

Prepare glutinous rice
1. Remove 100g of soaked glutinous rice and mix with blue colouring, set aside
2. Balance of rice, add 1tsp salt and mix well, set aside

Prepare filling
1. Heat oil, saute garlic and shallot, add in dried prawn, fry until fragrant
2. Add bean paste and coriander paste and continue fry.
3. Add in pork, mushrooms and winter melon, mix well.
4. Add some water, season with soy sauce, pepper , sugar and salt.
5. Cook till dry, dish out and set aside

To wrap dumplings
1. Form a cone using 2 bamboo leaves
2. Line the cone with a little blue coloured glutinous rice, and follow by plain rice
3. Place filling over the rice, top with a small piece of pandan leaf
4. Cover with extra plain glutinous rice
5. Wrap the dumpling and tie tightly with string

To cook dumplings
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil
2. Add 2tbsp of salt
3. Immerse the dumplings in the rapidly boiling water
4. Boil for 2 hours


26 comments:

Bakeling said...

I like nyonya dumpling !

Your nyonya dumplings have a lot of ingredients , worth to have a bite .

When I read " curi-curi pluck " those bunga telang (blue pea flowers), I laugh in front of my laptop !

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Bakeling, hahaha, not I want to curi-curi pluck, is just that no body at that house, so no choice lor. Anyway, I will visit this house again, will say thank you to them and also ask for more flower for my next project or maybe I should ask for the seed to plant it myself, hehehe..

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good and I love the sweet taste of Nyonya chang too. Just that it's a lot of work to cut everything into tiny pieces. :P

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

I like Nyonya chang too..too bad my grandma can't cook anymore,she used to make good nyonya chang!! your wrapping is not bad for 1 st timer,better than mine! hahaha!!

米亚 said...

This looks really good! May I ask if I cant find pandan leaf... can I use banana leaf instead???

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

LittleCornerofMine, just need little bit more time then you can have good food, I think still worth it.

Beachlover's Kitchen, Thanks for drop by, did you learn from your grandma to wrap a good Nyonya chang? If not, then you should learn it from her.Could you check with your grandma whether my recipe is ok or not, because I'm not a Nyonya and I just made researched to few recipes and came out with this..

Mia, actually you can omit the pandan leaf, pandan leaf added just to enchance the flavour.

ai wei said...

whoaaa... geng...
but bad lar u, curi curi pluck the blue flower. maybe u can try planting? :P

Nancymommy said...

哇..真的很大的project...不过看到辛苦做出来的成果,我想你一定很有成就感吧...Good job!

键轩惠娘 said...

谢谢来访~
你的nyonya chang 看来应该很好吃。
我看你的蓝花和我的蓝花是一样的,没不同,
可能是照片角度的关系所以看到不一样吧~

Shandy said...

Beautiful! I will trade you a cashew bar for a dumpling....YUM! The flower is so pretty and you went through so much work to make your dumplings. I am very impressed! =)

zeesiew said...

i also like it, very very and very nice ler...hehe...i duno hw to do but my mum know.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ai Wei, ya, I will plant it, will ask from the owner of that house I curi curi pluck, not sure whether they want to give some to me or not..

Nancy, after done this big project, I got back pain, so dont think I will do this kind of big projects so oftenly, hahaha

Shandy, use Fedex to post the cashew nut to me please, hehehe..

Zeesiew, so learn from you mum, you are lucky your mum know how to do it.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

键轩惠馆, Thank you very much for your confirmation, if I can't get the seed, will ask some from you.

Cindy Khor said...

i can still remember when i was little and use to have nyonya zhang dipped in kaya... but still, i prefer the original bak zhang as there are pork and egg yolk inside it ^__^

LianneK said...

wow .. this chang´s ingredient list sure is a killer for weekend, and need a massage session after that somemore ;-P i am like you .. sometimes, curi curi pluck things one keke great recipe btw, and thanks for dropping by!

Fifichong said...

wow.. nice bak zhang.. to tell u the truth, i tak pernah taste this kind of nyonya zhang b4.. Sabah here "boh"...i 1 2 try..

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Cindy,I like both, but prefer this type of Nyonya chang more..

Lianne, Thanks for drop by, but dont do too often curi curi pluck thing, ok, hehehe..

fifi, Thanks for drop by, went to your blog, realized your blog is very new, please post more Sabah foods, ok...

My Asian Kitchen said...

No I didn't learn the wrapping from my grandma but from my mom...my grandma is 86 now,I dunno if she still can remember what she eat yesterday! hahaha!! I hear from my mom nyonya chang involved lot of work.. don't worried,everybody have their own style or ingredients for their own wrapping..as long as your family are family with your chang thats matter!!

SueSue said...

Wah nyonya chang. My MIL gave me one biji and I kept it for almost 1 mth in the fridge. When I took out and wanted to eat it turned bad. Haizzz... still got no chance to try it and wonder how does it taste like.

温馨小屋 said...

做得很棒啊!我等你寄来的蓝花,才开始动手!

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol 350 mg carisoprodol 350 mg vs flexeril - carisoprodol over the counter

Anonymous said...

generic xanax xanax gg 258 side effects - xanax dosage wiki

Anonymous said...

tramadol online no prescription does generic tramadol look like - where to buy tramadol online forum

Unknown said...

Hi
I really want to try this and I grow the blue pea flowers in my garden but how do I extra the colour? Is it just flowers in cold water or do I do something else?

Unknown said...

Actually, there is pork in the Nyonya style

Anonymous said...

Does the blue colouring here has any meaning or purpose? Or just to look good?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin