I didn't add cocoa powder into cake batter, instead just sprinkle on the batter and create the pattern..
I prefer to enjoy this chiffon with a cup of coffee...My daughter said the taste of this chiffon cake remind her of nutella..
Nutty Chocolate Chiffon Cake 榛果巧克力戚风蛋糕*makes a 20cm chiffon tube pan
4 egg yolks (A size)15g caster sugar35g corn oil55g milk80g self-raising flour40g roasted hazelnut (roast at a pre-heated oven 180C for 3mins, remove skin)10g corn flour
4 egg white (A size)75g caster sugar
2tsp cocoa powder
- Put the self raising flour, corn flour and roasted hazelnuts in a food processor, and whizz until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add in sugar into egg yolks, immediately lightly whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light.
- Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in milk, stir well to combine. Add in flour mixture, stir to well combine.
- Beat egg whites till foamy, gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until soft peak formed.
- Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well and lighten the egg yolk batter.
- Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in 1/3 of meringue, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour 1/3 cake batter into chiffon pan, sift a thin layer of cocoa powder on it. Repeat the rest of layers.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170c for 45mins at middle rack or until cooked.
- Once done, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
- Chiffon cake is ready to unmould. You can use a plastic thin spatula to run the pan and unmould the chiffon or you can unmould using bare hands method if you have mastered this skill.Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover