Chicken Satay is very famous in Malaysia, and it has been listed in my to-do-list long time ago. Recently I just made this satay for one of the dinner at home.
-Homemade peanut dipping sauce,very thick and full of peanut aroma..
I hope next time I can try out Ketupat(rice dumpling) that wrap with woven palm leaf pouch but not plastic bag (easy to find this ready packet in supermarket).
Peteformation, Thanks to Pete for kind sharing. But I made little adjustment to the original recipe.
Homemade Chicken Satay and Peanut dipping sauce*makes about 40 sticks of Satay
600g chicken meat, drumstick meat or breast meat with skin on, cut into thin strips
Marinate ingredients1tbsp cumin powder
2tbsp coriander powder
1tbsp turmeric powder
1” Galangal (replaced ginger if you don’t have this)
3 stalks Serai (Lemongrass)
75ml coconut milk
1 and 1/2tsp salt or to taste
3tbsp light brown sugar or to taste
Some satay skewers
1. Blend galangal, lemongrass and coconut milk till fine paste.
2. Marinade the chicken meat with all the ingredients, set aside for 1hour or more or preferably overnight in the fridge.
3. Thread the marinated strips of meat through satay skewers, around 4-5pcs per skewer.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 200c for 25mins or barbecue the satay using charcoal fire (this way taste better!)
Peanut dipping sauce
100g roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
Ground spices (blend into paste)
1tsp Cumin powder
1tsp Fennel powder
1tsp Coriander powder
1tsp Turmeric powder
1tbsp chilli paste (I use homemade chilli paste)
2 stalks lemongrass
4pcs of candlenuts
2 cloves garlic
Tamarind juice (1tbsp tamarind paste mix with 3tbsp water)
300ml think coconut milk
5tbsp of cooking oil
1tsp salt or to taste
1. Heat oil in a wok, fry ground spices for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add in tamarind water and coconut milk, continue to simmer for 5mins.
3. Add the ground peanuts and simmer for 2-3mins.
4. Add sugar and salt to taste.
Satay to serve with:-1 Onions, cut into bite size
1 Cucumber, cut into bite size
1 pkt of Ketupat (rice dumpling), prepared as per packet’s instruction, cut into bite size .
Happy Cooking !!