If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Penang Char Koey Teow (fried flat rice noodles)

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)


How to cook a plate of yummy Penang Char Koey Teow? A very famous local street food in Penang,Malaysia, a simple stir fry flat rice noodles.
First check the ingredients:-

1) Fresh Koey Teow (flat rice noodles), checked

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)


2)Bean sprouts and chives, checked

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)



3)Fresh cockles (Xi Ham-in Hokkien), checked

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)



4) Fresh prawns, checked

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)



5)Chinese sausages, checked

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)



6)Chili paste, chopped garlic, pre-mixed sauce, checked

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)


Recipe adapted from Obhin (original from Wendy), they advised to cook plate by plate but not big wok at one go. So I pretended myself like a hawker and asked my internal customer (my family ) their preference, and cook plate by plate. I made slightly changes to recipe, anyway, Thanks Ohbin and Wendy for kind sharing.

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)
(printable recipe)

Pre-mixed sauce
In a bowl, mix below seasonings and stir well:-
1/3 cup light soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1tsp oyster sauce
1tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
2tsp salt


Ingredients for a plate (per pax)

200-250g fresh Koey Teow (flat rice noodles), loosen it
2tbsp cooking oil ( I use lard oil)
1tbsp chopped garlic
few fresh prawns (personal preference)
some bean sprout (personal preference)
few slices of Chinese sausages (personal preference)
few fresh cockles
some Chinese chives (personal preference)
Chili paste ( I use homemade chilli paste)
1 egg

Method (Fast –appx 3mins, High heat)

1. Heat up a wok over high flame, add a table spoon of oil.
2. Add garlic, stir few seconds, then add in Chinese sausage, prawns and chilli paste, quickly mix well
3. Add koey teow, immediately follow with a 1~1.5 table spoon of the pre-mixed sauce, stir to coat well.
4. Stir the koey teow to the side of the wok, grease the middle of the wok with 1tbsp of oil, drop an egg.
5. Cover the egg with the koey teow, add 1tbsp of pre-mixed sauce, quickly stir and mix well.
6. Last add in cockles, bean sprout and chives.
7. Stir to mix well, remove from heat and serve hot.

Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)



Penang Char Koey Teow (stir fried flat rice noodles)

Happy Cooking!!

49 comments:

Imo Teo said...

哇。。。。看颜色就觉得很够“锅气”哦~
Sonia,b your family member v nice, everyday can have nice nice food~

3 hungry tummies said...

That look so good! Fresh cockles are hard to come by here!

YHL said...

OMG, XiHam, miss that so so much ... without xi ham Char Koey Teow will be no more tumb up, but i couldn't get it here. Sonia you are wonderful.

pigpigscorner said...

wahhh....the plate looks like those you find in the hawkers! I want a plate with chili too!

the lacquer spoon said...

Love this healthy noodles with lots of ingredients. Delish!

WendyinKK said...

Oh yes, I always fry these type of hawker noodles plate by plate.

My husband always ask me to buka kedai with my fried lohsufun, my fried lai fun, fried beef noodles......never fried kwayteow tho :)

Jane Chew said...

wah! yours looks so... good! "keng"!!!
I kalah, hehehe...

ICook4Fun said...

Can I have a plate too pleaseeeeeeeeee. You plate of CKT look just PERFECT! We can hardly find fresh Xi ham here.

divya said...

Wow.. yours looks so... good!

Hearty Bakes said...

wow...its making me hungry now! Looks really nice with all the fresh ingredients. Very delicious!

Sarah Naveen said...

oh My..this looks awesome..yummy yumm

ann low said...

I also want a plate of this pleaseee without Xi ham but extra chlli sauce! Is not easy to fry CKT, if cannot handle probably, the KT will break into pieces.

MaryMoh said...

I think I'm only A1 in eating this.....my favourite. I don't think I can get a very hot fire for cooking this. I always see the hawkers use high heat when cooking this kway teow.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wah Sonia, yours is really the authentic CKT! 鲜蚶 too! *Salivate* You are making me miss Asia food since I am in California at the moment! Think have to go eat CKT once I land in Singapore, hahaha!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

oh boy I love everything about this!!!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

My, this looks colorful and awesome. I am certainly bookmarking it..

ahteekitchen said...

walao~If u open a char kuew teow stall, I must go support u geh!! the look "xiang xiang" leh~

shoppingmum said...

Wow, I really miss char kuew teow! I'm gonna try this recipe soon, if I can find kuew teow here in BKK.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks delicious, must be extra fragrant serving on a banana leaf.

Swee San said...

Looks nice ... Hey have u checked ur email ? I sent you something ...

Bo said...

Looks so delicious!!! Great photos too.

Pei-Lin said...

Eh! Not bad leh ... Really looks like those made by the vendors ... Oh, and thanks for passing on the tip! Now that I know! Do you know I failed twice the two CKT attempts I gave when I was in the States? Hahaha!

PranisKitchen said...

nasi lemak..wow delicious one.how nicely u r presenting the recipe..very easy to get it..
i will try it with chicken..
really awesome penang char koey teow

Love2cook Malaysia said...

We used to travel to Penang, just to have CKT! There's an old aunty who cooks it at a food street nearby Sunway Hotel, Georgetown.
Urs is looking exactly like hers! Uwaaaa...yumm yumm! :D

Somewhere in Singapore said...

So yummy, if i go Penang look for Akira, sure want to ask him bring go eat CKT... hehe...

Kitchen Corner said...

WOW! So tempting leh!!!Who can resist this one? It looks so delicious!

苏联妈妈 said...

so delicours ! i wan a plate but is without the chinese sausage. tq huh! heheheheee

Jeannie said...

Mmmm...must learn how to fry this too...never cook this before as it is so easily available outside. Yours looks delicious! I love the ingredients in it, especially the shrimps:D

GayathriRaj said...

HEY what a colorful pics...i loved it like anythng.....and that combi of adding so many is really a good thought.....

tigerfish said...

Looks very delicious. I am hungry...

Yummy Bakes said...

so hungry now .... looks so delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This truly looks wonderful. I love all the ingredients you've used, although I can't get noodles that wide I'm going to try this. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

The Sudden Cook said...

The Chinese sausages in my opinion take the dish to another level....sadly fewer and fewer hawkers are including that in the dish

Cheah said...

Cooking plate by plate tastes much better I must admit. Yours look so good, can set up stall already!

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

OOOhhh Yummy!

蝸牛兒 said...

>_<看了我更想念penang char kuey tiao :x

Vrinda said...

I had tasted this flat rice noodles at Thai restaurant..looks perfect n yummmm

Anonymous said...

that is one nice char koey teow there! my favorite food :D

Barbara said...

Oh my! That looks delicious! Those cockles! And I love the noodles. And I've never heard of Chinese sausage. Is it spicy? Love visiting your blog!

Angie's Recipes said...

Your Char Koey Teow could be the best I have ever seen! No kidding...better than the one served in the restaurants!

Malar Gandhi said...

That is terrific combination of goodness, loved all the ingredients that has gone into this dish, drool worthy presentation:)

Jo said...

All the right ingredients for a great char kway teow. Oh dear .... I shouldn't look at this so early in the morning.

My Asian Kitchen said...

wow!! your CKT look so delicious!! like the one sell at the stall!! love your new camera!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

dear all, thanks for stopping by and leave your lovely comment. Yes, this is good, do try out, must remember to cook plate by plate.

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

Nice dish... What exactly is Chinese sausage? Is it different from the ordinary sausage? Can I buy it in Chinese grocery stores?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Spoon and chopsticks, see this link to know better of what is Chinese sausage-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_sausage. Yes, you should able to get this from Chinese grocery stores or Asian stores.

Colin Woon said...

Ooooo...I miss this so so so much!

These are amazing and awesome photos, Sonia! Especially first and the last 2 photos, simply fantastic!

Asha Ram said...

Absolutely gorgeous! :)

I'm a vegetarian, and I cooked my version of stir-fried flat noodles like this:

http://pegnpig.blogspot.in/2012/12/peg-pigs-kitchen-char-kway-teow-with.html

lilynne said...

Can I cook the char keow teow using a pan instead of wok?Will it alter the taste?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin