If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, July 17, 2009

My 1st Chiffon story

Story begins..
I have been looking for a cake recipe which without adding any chemical substance e.g baking powder, cream of tartat & etc, finally I found the Chiffon recipe in Cooking Crave (original recipe from Kitchen Corner). All this while, I don't bother to bake Chiffon cake, due to the bad experiences (dry, a kind of smell & etc) tasted for those Chiffon cakes that I bought from morning market. But, after seeing "Cooking Crave" bake Chiffon w/o adding cream of tartar, just flour, eggs, corn oil and sugar, furthermore it is something difference which you hardly buy from market, a chocolate marble chiffon. So I start to search for a Chiffon cake pan.

-At first, I found this nice cake pan in IKEA, attracted by the heart shape printing, and it seem suitable to bake my 1st Chiffon cake, immediately I bought one. I was so excited and immediately bake my 1st Chiffon cake, when the cake came out from oven, it looked so perfect, few minutes later, it started to shrink and turned out with bad shape, just like two layer of tummies.

- I was so disappointed with this result, so I keep think and think for the whole day to find out the reasons why my Chiffon cake collapsed. At first I thought it was due to I didn't put it up side down (the new cake pan doesn't come with metal legs), but later I found out up side down not the main root cause. Finally, I suspected I bought a wrong Chiffon pan, that one I bought is a non-stick type, so the cake could not stick and hold to the wall of the pan, that's why the Chiffon cake easily shrink.

- I did not give up, the next day, I ran to buy a normal Chiffon pan, and immediately baked chocolate marble Chiffon again, the result just like what I expected, it turn out perfectly, my 1st perfect Chiffon cake, the texture just moist and soft, furthermore it contain without any chemical substance.










Here is the recipe which I have simplified it, you may check out the detail instructions in Cooking Crave's blog.


(A)

95g egg yolks

25g caster sugar

½ tsp salt

1 tsp honey

(B)

80g corn oil

80g water

(C)

95g cake flour

(D)

10g cocoa powder

10g cake flour

(E)

240g egg whites

110g caster sugar

15g corn flour

Steps:-

1. Cream ingredient (A) till change pale yellow colour.

2. Add in ingredient (B), corn oil first then add in water, mix well.

3. Fold in ingredient (C) and mix till no lumps.

4. Divide the egg yolks mixture into two equal portions. Mix 10g flour in one portion, and 10g cocoa powder in another portion, mix well.

5. Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl until soft foam. Gradually add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time and finally add in corn flour. Mix well.

6. Gently fold in half of the egg whites mixture into the cocoa egg yolk mixture and plain mixture accordingly until well combined

7. Spoon both batters into the pan and design your own marble effect. Bake at preheated oven at 160c for 50 minutes (adjust when necessary, depend on what type of oven you use)

8. Up side down(Invert) the cooked cake immediately on a wire rack until it's completely cool before remove the cake from cake pan.


Last but not least, this was an expensive baking lesson but I enjoyed it and I would like to share my experience to whoever still struggling to find out why your cake shrink. Anyway I can still use the IKEA cake pan to bake butter cake (and best is with heart shape printing on the cake).
End of story..

** I would like to say Thank you very much to "Cooking Crave" and "Kitchen Corner" for sharing this really really good Chiffon recipe.

Enjoy Baking !!!


20 comments:

J.O said...

红色那个模是non-stick的吧
做戚风不能用这类模型哦
其实我在南瓜戚风那里有回复你了
不过,我觉得你做的不错
相信你会越来越喜欢chiffon蛋糕的^^

ai wei said...

this is lovely. thanks for sharing up the recipe. will try will try!!! =D

Rachel Hei said...

Good try Sonia, the ciffon comes our just nice, a good return for your effort..^_^

ICook4Fun said...

You should see my first two chiffon cake. Turn out like kueh texture and overflow all over the oven :) Yours at least look like chiffon cake and the 2nd one a great success. Bravo to your effort.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

J.O, aiyah, I didnt notice your advise in your previous post, otherwise I dont need to spent so much to just buy the Chiffon pan. Now I think back, earlier i baked sponge cake, also shrunk, from this Chiffon lesson, I know it was come from the same reason, a non-stick pan..Anyway, thank you so much of your kind sharing of your baking experiences. Now I enjoy baking Chiffon so much, no oil and no chemical, next one I gonna to try Strawberry chiffon.

Ai Wei, follow exactly to the recipe steps, and I'm sure you will be sucessed.

Rachel, ya ya, a good return for my effort..can bake more Chiffon liao..

ICook4Fun, hahaha, like kueh texture, at that time you must feel so bad huh. Actually my 1st attempted was a good chiffon, but just that I was using the wrong pan...

Hi all, have a nice weekend..

TINTIN said...

Wow, congrats.. another tips is you must leave the cake invert till it's **totally cool** before you unmould them so the cake won't shrink down. I normally leave it up to 3 hrs**

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

congratulation!! your chiffon cake look beautiful..mine first chiffon cake look like "malai kor":( thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe:)I might try this!

ai wei said...

okie okie!!! will try it. love the fluffy fluffy ciffon. i have a pandan ciffon recipe too! you can try it out too :)

http://ivyaiwei.blogspot.com/2008/09/soft-fluffy-pandan-chiffon-cake.html

米亚 said...

Hi Sonia! your cake is looking good! Guess what? I am still at HK now... at the hotel lobby and your blog is the first one I visited so far! Really miss your recipe... I am feeding myself very well here! Typhoon (level 8) is blowing from phillipine today... wish me luck! Miss your cake btw... nice~~~

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Tintin, ok, msg noted. Thanks

Beachlover's kitchen, let me know the result once you tried it

Ai Wei, pandan chiffon later lar, I want to bake special flavour first, next one will be strawberry flavour, hehehe..

Mia, glad to hear from you, I miss you too. I'm sure you feeding well since you have planned this trip for so long. quickly come back and post your HK trips, I might go HK as well, so can be a guide for me. Since your boy friend is with you now, I'm sure Typhoon 8 will not blow you away, hahahah, Have fun..

Nancymommy said...

看你们做蛋糕真有满足感...加油!

petite nyonya said...

what an interesting new lesson about the need to 'stick' to the wall of the pan to prevent 'double tummies'. nice chiffon..the 2nd time round :D

Colin Woon said...

And you baked a wonderful 1st Chiffon cake. I should let my wife know about your solution to the problem, she is having some chiffon cake collapse problem earlier too.

Love the color of your Chiffon cake!

zeesiew said...

wow..nice colour and nice chiffon, congratulation...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Congrats on your success of baking a chiffon cake! Now we can look forward to more chiffon cake from you ya. ;)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Nancy, I fall in love with Chiffon cake recently, hehehe

Nyonya pendek, try it out.

Colin, ask your wife to try out.

Zeesiew, thank you.

LCOM,yes, coming more..

Violet SWEET Creations said...

Hi,

I have just discovered your website and i LOVE IT!! I recently became addicted to chiffon cake baking. I bought a non-stick angel cake tin (with stand) becuase I just can't seem to find one which is NOT non-stick.

DOes anyone know where in Sydney I can find one? Also, is it possible to buy the 'blue-flower'(lan2hua1) plant from Queensland? I am hoping the answer is 'yes' and also hoping I can grow it here in Sydney.

I am going to try to make the green tea chiffon cake with the red bean icing.Sure looks relaly yummy!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad i found your website :-) thanks for your wonderful recipes.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hahaha, Sonia, what an experience in baking the chiffon!I wonder why Ikea was selling the non-stick chiffon pan?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I will like to know the 'normal' Chiffon pan you mention here, had a removable bottom?

Should the chiffon pan has removable or non-removable bottom? I wish to try to bake this cake...I'm new in baking

Mandy

Caroline Poh said...

Omigosh! That sounds like my first experience making chiffon cake too! I have not bought another chiffon cake pan. The one I have is a non-stick chiffon pan. I'll try hunting around for another chiffon cake pan. Definitely this time, I won't be getting a non-stick one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin