I have been looking for a cake recipe which without adding any chemical substance e.g baking powder, cream of tartat & etc, finally I found the Chiffon recipe in Cooking Crave (original recipe from Kitchen Corner). All this while, I don't bother to bake Chiffon cake, due to the bad experiences (dry, a kind of smell & etc) tasted for those Chiffon cakes that I bought from morning market. But, after seeing "Cooking Crave" bake Chiffon w/o adding cream of tartar, just flour, eggs, corn oil and sugar, furthermore it is something difference which you hardly buy from market, a chocolate marble chiffon. So I start to search for a Chiffon cake pan.
- I was so disappointed with this result, so I keep think and think for the whole day to find out the reasons why my Chiffon cake collapsed. At first I thought it was due to I didn't put it up side down (the new cake pan doesn't come with metal legs), but later I found out up side down not the main root cause. Finally, I suspected I bought a wrong Chiffon pan, that one I bought is a non-stick type, so the cake could not stick and hold to the wall of the pan, that's why the Chiffon cake easily shrink.
- I did not give up, the next day, I ran to buy a normal Chiffon pan, and immediately baked chocolate marble Chiffon again, the result just like what I expected, it turn out perfectly, my 1st perfect Chiffon cake, the texture just moist and soft, furthermore it contain without any chemical substance.
95g egg yolks
25g caster sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp honey
80g corn oil
95g cake flour
10g cocoa powder
10g cake flour
240g egg whites
110g caster sugar
15g corn flour
1. Cream ingredient (A) till change pale yellow colour.
2. Add in ingredient (B), corn oil first then add in water, mix well.
3. Fold in ingredient (C) and mix till no lumps.
4. Divide the egg yolks mixture into two equal portions. Mix 10g flour in one portion, and 10g cocoa powder in another portion, mix well.
5. Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl until soft foam. Gradually add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time and finally add in corn flour. Mix well.
6. Gently fold in half of the egg whites mixture into the cocoa egg yolk mixture and plain mixture accordingly until well combined
7. Spoon both batters into the pan and design your own marble effect. Bake at preheated oven at 160c for 50 minutes (adjust when necessary, depend on what type of oven you use)
8. Up side down(Invert) the cooked cake immediately on a wire rack until it's completely cool before remove the cake from cake pan.
Last but not least, this was an expensive baking lesson but I enjoyed it and I would like to share my experience to whoever still struggling to find out why your cake shrink. Anyway I can still use the IKEA cake pan to bake butter cake (and best is with heart shape printing on the cake).
** I would like to say Thank you very much to "Cooking Crave" and "Kitchen Corner" for sharing this really really good Chiffon recipe.
Enjoy Baking !!!