If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, Georgetown Penang

During my Penang trip, I took the the opportunity to visit one of the heritage site listed in UNESCO, unlike last time we always go to beach when visited Penang.
This time,we choose this Blue mansion to have a visit, this mansion won "2000 UNESCO "Most Excellent" Heritage Conservation Award..You really shouldn't miss this...visit the best ancient Chinese architecture in Penang which about 200 years old..









You need to go on a tour, about an hour, twice a day which covers the "Fengshui" or geomancy aspects of the building. But photography is prohibited unless you stayed in. Luckily my little son Desmond followed through the whole tour for an hour, this is not an easy task for a 5 years old small boy.

I noticed that we were the only local visitor among the foreign visitors, is this due to local peoples don't really appreciate our own heritage ?

.














-And you must remember to look up to see all these chinese ceramic shared decorations on roof ridges and gables, they are just awesome..

- Cheong Fatt Tze believed that there shouldn't any "T-junction" or "high building" block in front of their house according to "Feng Shui" concept, that's why he bought this piece of land in front of his house and built these five houses. These five houses currently turned to restaurant serving meals to visitors during their stay in this mansion.

Related website: http://www.cheongfatttzemansion.com/

16 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

i have been there once but didnt go in.. it is now a heritage but i heard they r goingto convert it to a hotel like...

Rachel Hei said...

Been to Penang twice and only cari makan around the town, should have a visit to this heritage next time..^_^

Bakeling said...

I never been to this mansion before. I didn't get the chance to go although I plan to .

Maybe Desmond himself is interested in this sight-seeing trip , that's why he was willing to finish the whole journey .

Little Corner of Mine said...

How interesting! I would love to visit this.

米亚 said...

This is interesting... It is ashamed that the local people didnt even bother about the existence of such wonderful heritage at local area... I wish to take a look inside too!

温馨小屋 said...

我去过这么多次槟城,都没有进去看过....因为都没有人告诉我这个地方...下次有机会再去槟城,我会去看看...谢谢你!!

Canary said...

古色古香。。。。
温馨小屋,就连我住靠近槟城也没去过。

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi all, this mansion definitely worth for a visit if next time you visit to Penang. The tour lady is very good explaining and tell very good story, very interesting tour, no wonder Desmond also attracted by her..

ai wei said...

this is such a nice place.
it's really 古色古香. another great place for sight seeing when i visit to penang :)

Nancymommy said...

这些古迹真的应该好好保护啊!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ai Wei, 古色古香, you have perfertly describe it.

Nancy, I think they are doing this right now, since Penang is listed in UNESCO..

petite nyonya said...

Hi Sonia, the KA I bought is the Artisan model. KA has 3 - Classic, Artisan & Pro. Will surely let you know if I spot any promotion. I will be going down to Orchard in the next few days so will check it out for you.

p/s This is a gorgeous mansion! If only they build new houses in such designs. I like old looking houses like this.

Shandy said...

Sonia...Your Pictures...Oh My Goodness!!! How Gorgeous! Remember that I totally adore you when you read this Sonia because I am passing along to you an A to Z tag...So you have been officially tagged my dear friend =D. Just go to my blog to collect it and pass it to 4 other blog friends of yours.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Petite, Thanks for the info, looking forward to receive good news from you..

Shandy, Thanks for A to Z tag, I will collect it later, still lazy to answer the long list..hehehe..

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the visit to this lovely mansion. Yes, a lady conducted the tour and she was good. I think we were the only locals too, the 3 of us! We certainly can do better - learn more and support our heritage .

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Keats the sunshine girl, good to hear you also there, interesting and informative tour..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin