If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Penang Hokkian Mee/Prawn Mee, simply delicious !!

When we were in Penang, my kids keep ordering prawn mee, they just love this noodle. So I tried to cook at it home too, since I use all fresh ingredients, the soup base is super sweet and the best thing is we can add as many as topping that we like, like example Jeslyn love to eat bean sprout, so she added big sum of bean sprout in her bowl....












Simple recipe to share:-


Ingredients

For the stock:
500g spareribs (pai kuat) , 2.5-3 lt of water

Seasoning: salt ,rock sugar

500g fresh medium size of prawn, shelled

200g lean pork

Blanch:-
fresh yellow noodles

rice vermicelli

bean sprouts

water spinach(Kangkung)

hard-boiled eggs, shelled and cut half or quartered



Some shallot crisps

Sambal:-
2 tbsp chili paste (cili Boh) , i use homemade chili paste
Blend -1 onion, 6 shallots,3 cloves of garlic and 1" young ginger
Dried prawn, soaked and pounded
Belacan 1tsp



Steps:-

1. Heat oil in a wok, stir fry the prawn head and shells until change colour.
2. Put spareribs and water into a deep stockpot, bring to a boil , add in the prawn head and shells, simmer the stock for 1.5-2 hours, season with rock sugar and salt.
3. Halfway through, add lean pork and cooked through. Remove and slice the meat thinly, then set aside.
4. Heat oil in a wok, saute onion paste, add in chili paste, then add in dried prawn and belacan, saute till fragrant, season with sugar and salt, remove and set aside. In the same wok (use the remaining chili oil), stir fry the prawn, season with salt, and set aside.
5. Once stock done, strain the stock, add in the sambal paste.
6. To serve, place noodles into soup bowl, top up with main prawn stock and garnish with bean sprouts, water spinach (kangkung), hard-boiled eggs, pork slices and shallot crisps



Do enjoy cooking noodle soup !!!

21 comments:

Canary said...

Hokkian Mee is my favour food,thanks for sharing.☺

ann low said...

WOW! Looks so delicious :) Hokkien Mee is also my favorite. I usually cook this when there are family gathering.

Nancymommy said...

我在Perai吃的虾面绝对没有你煮的好吃...我可以来一碗吗?

Bakeling said...

妈妈煮的东西特别好吃,因为真材实料 !

Colin Woon said...

Simply delicious!!!

Thanks for the drool inducing photos! You're good!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Canary, it seem is everyone favorite.

Anncoo, good idea to cook for family gathering..

Nancy, 真材实料 mah..

Bakeling, you are right.

Colin, this kind of local noodle must served in rooster bowl, it would taste even better, simply delicious..

Precious Pea said...

Yummy!! I tried making this once and nothing beats homemade. Try saving prawn shells, it does make a big difference too.

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

yummy yummy I love prawn noodle too... have a big bag of saved prawn shells in the freezer and big pork bone too , will cook soon for my family

米亚 said...

oh! sambal is the best with prawn noodle...! thanks for the recipe... I would love to try this one weekend as we both enjoy south east asia spiciness too...!!!

ann low said...

Hi,
I have an Award for you. Please pick the Award from my blog. :D

Cheers

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Precious Pea and A full time Housefly, ya, dont waste, the prawn shells make the stock super delicious.

Mia,you can add one portion of the sambal into the stock, and save a portion as topping, adjust the spiceness accordingly. usually I will add big spoon of sambal in my prawn noodle, spicy and yummy..writing this, I started drooling, I will cook it again soon.

Ancoo, Thanks. can I just collect the award but dont need to write something, I just lazy to do that, hahaha..

ICook4Fun said...

Sonia, I can I have bowl of the Har Mee? Man, it look so good. I am eager to try this out but I have to go Chinatown to get some fresh prawns first. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Cindy Khor said...

your version of prawn noodles really looks good. thanks for the recipe.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, so yummy looking! I want a bowl pls!

Rachel Hei said...

Sonia, your prawn noodle looks more great than those selling at the stall.. Yum Yum!! ^_^

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Icook4fun,we are lucky here to have this prawn mee at any time we want, hehehe..try it out, but for seasoning, you need to adjust accordingly, I only agak-agak..

Cindy, you are welcome.

LCOM, try it out..

Rachel, oh, really, Thanks for your compliment.

pigpigscorner said...

I miss this!!

Palidor said...

This is an absolutely beautiful dish! I will have to try this.

I made coconut rice for the first time last night and loved it! That's when Petite Nyonya sent me to your site and told me that Nasi Lemak is the name for coconut rice. I'm glad she did because you have a wonderful site! I'll definitely be a regular visitor!

terri@adailyobsession said...

this looks better than the stalls (but of course, home-made is full of authentic goodness). i will use this recipe if i ever attempt this dish--looks like lots of work

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, I want to make this for dinner tomorrow. May I know if this recipe is enough for 6 people? If not, can you advise how to adjust the ingredients amount? My family does not eat dried shrimps and belachan, so what can we replace them with? Can I buy store bought chilli fry till I get the chilii oil, set aside then fry the prawns with this oil? Thanks for helping me out. Appreciate it!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Teo ai li, maybe we can refer to my latest recipe. You can just omit dried shrimps and belacan, don't have other items to substitute. Yes, you can use store bought like chili boh.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin