Today I would like to share with you this local fried donut, Kueh Keria (fried sweet potato donut), this is a type of donut that you can easily get it from pasar (local market). I can get every cheap RM 1.00 (USD 0.30) for 3pcs from Malay stalls, thus all this while, I don't bother to make this kueh by myself. But recently I just made this kueh few times due to my kids just love to eat this kueh.
My kids especially like to eat the sugar coat on this Kueh Keria ...kids just like sweet..
Kueh Keria / Fried sweet potato donut
*makes 11 pcs
250g sweet potato, cooked and mashed
50g all purpose flour
15g glutinous rice flour
A pinch of salt
1tbsp water or adjust accordingly ( it depend on the type of sweet potato you use)
1. Combine all ingredients and knead till smooth dough.
2. Weight dough 30g each and shape it into small ball.
3. Flatten the ball, made a hole in the middle of the dough, and shape it like a donut shape (don’t need to use donut cutter).
4. Heat oil in a wok, deep fry sweet potato ring over medium flame till golden brown. Dish out and drain.
To coat Kueh Keria:-
1. In another clean pot, cook 1/3 cup sugar and 2tbsp water until syrupy and thick. Add fried sweet potato ring and coat well.
2. Serve warm with a cup of tea or coffee
My note: The above flour and water ingredients just for your reference only, this is because difference type of sweet potato get difference texture of dough, you need to adjust the flour and water accordingly. Sometime I don’t need to add water but have to add more flour instead, personally I prefer local type of sweet potato.
Happy Cooking !!