Recipe was adapted from Honey Bee Sweets, but I replaced sesame seeds with poppy seeds. I have summary the recipe as per below, but please check out at her blog for more detail steps. Thanks to Bee Bee for kind sharing of this lovely recipe.
Actually I was not followed exactly to the recipe as I overlooked the step, I thought the recipe required mashed potato, so I put the whole potato with skin on in the boiling water but did not realized I need to cut into small cubes, so what I got was potato skin water but not potato water, hahaha..Luckily the bagels still turned out well.
Poppy seeds Bagel
1 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 and 1/2tsp instant yeast
30ml vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
650g all purpose plain flour
1.5 tsp salt
Poppy seeds for sprinkling
1. Cook the potatoes in the boiling water, once done, remove potato from water, reserve water and let it cook till lukewarm.
2. Add yeast, oil, eggs and 250ml lukewarm potato water (from no 1, not potato but water), lightly whisk till well combine.
3. Add in flour and salt, knead the mixture till well combine and elastic, took about 10mins.
4. Placed the dough in oiled bowl and cover with cloth and set aside to proof till doubles in volume, take about 1hour.
5. Punch out the air and separate dough into 6 equal portions. Roll round and cover to rest for another 10mins.
6. Roll each piece of dough into a rope shape, flatten one end of the rope, overlapping the flat end over the round end, pinch together to seal. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
7. Bring water to boil over high flame. Place few bagels in the water and simmer for 1min for each side.
8. Transfer the bagels on a baking tray line with parchment paper.
9. Brush egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
10. Bake at pre-heated oven at 200c for 25mins.
Happy Cooking and Baking !!